Athens-Candler-Church Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
Tag Archives: Winder GA
In the 1890s John H. Winder, an engineer and manager with the Seaboard Air Line Railroad, was instrumental in bringing the line through the hamlet of Jug Tavern. The residents were so grateful they renamed the settlement Winder in his honor. Soon, the area experienced rapid growth and the new town became an important stop between Athens and Atlanta. This depot was erected in 1912, to reflect the newfound prosperity of the city. It remains a well-loved landmark today.
National Register of Historic Places