Tag Archives: The Allman Brothers Band

Allman Brothers Band Gravesite, Macon

The Allman Brothers Band is one of the best-loved groups in rock and roll history and they considered their early association with Macon integral to their success.  For nearly five decades visiting the gravesite of Duane Allman and Berry Oakley at Rose Hill Cemetery has been a pilgrimage for many of their most devoted fans. In recent years, iron fencing has been placed around the graves to prevent vandalism and other unwelcome activities.

Tragedy first struck the band on 29 October 1971, when Duane Allman died as the result of a motorcycle crash at the intersection of Hillcrest Avenue and Bartlett Street.

Just over a year later, on 11 November 1972, Berry Oakley met the same fate within blocks of where Duane had crashed.

After years on the road leading the band and doing his own solo projects, Gregg Allman died on 27 May 2017. It was always his wish to be reunited with Duane and Berry in Rose Hill. A formal memorial has yet to be placed, but plans have been made to expand the fencing to incorporate his gravesite.

Many fans have already visited and left souvenirs and remembrances.

To visit the site, turn right inside the gate and drive down to the Old Hebrew Burial Grounds, marked by a brick and wrought iron arch. You can usually park by the large oak tree and walk a bit down the hill to your left to reach the graves. Be warned, though, that driving in the cemetery is difficult due to very narrow lanes.

Rose Hill Cemetery, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA

H & H Restaurant, Macon

Inez Hill and Louise Hudson, affectionately known as Mama Hill and Mama Louise, opened their H & H Restaurant on the corner of Hayes and Third Street in 1959, moving to Cotton Avenue for a time before finally settling at the present Forsyth Avenue location. The establishment soon became a Macon favorite and would go on to acquire iconic status for its association with the Allman Brothers Band. In their struggling early days, the band members came into H &  H and were so broke they had to share plates. Mama Louise, sensing they were hungry, made them all their own plates, free of charge. The musicians never forgot her act of kindness and promised to make it up to her when they made it big. In 1972, they took her on tour.

For serious fans of the Allman Brothers Band, no trip to Macon would be complete without a visit to H & H. It was the hospitality of Mama Louise that helped put the place on the map and nearly fifty years later people still make their way here to feel a connection to rock history. The memorabilia-lined walls never fail to amaze. The Marshall Tucker Band, Wet Willie, and countless others were H & H regulars in Macon’s musical heyday of the early 1970s. It was also an important meeting place for Macon’s civil rights leaders and activists.

Of course, people come for the history and legend but return for the excellent food. Known as Macon’s “fried chicken specialist”, H & H also offers items like country fried steak, fried fish, oxtails, and more. The meats are great, but the sides are even better. I’m not a fan of collards, but I like H & H’s. Their mashed potatoes are creamy (not runny) and the squash casserole is as good as you’ll find anywhere. They top it with cheese to make it perfect.

Mama Hill collapsed while working in the restaurant in 2007 and died the next day at the age of 92. H & H briefly closed in 2013 but reopened in early 2015. It’s been called Georgia’s most iconic restaurant and while it fits the bill, it’s not a pretentious place. You’ll feel right at home when you walk in the door, with locals and tourists alike. The staff are some of the best you’ll find anywhere and the food will not disappoint.

2 Comments

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA

Beall-Jordan-Dunlap House, 1860, Macon

When built for plantation owner Nathan Beall, this house was a large but simple Victorian. He later sold it Leonadius H. Jordan, owner of the Academy of Music (today’s Grand Opera House). Jordan died in 1899 and in 1900 it was restored by Confederate Captain Samuel S. Dunlap, the most significant change being the addition of 18 Corinthian columns. During World War II, it was a boarding house and tea room operated by Mrs. Robert Lasseter. A photo of The Allman Brothers standing on the front porch of the house, looking a bit worse for wear, graces the cover of their eponymous debut album in 1969. In the 1970s and 1980s it was one of Macon’s most popular restaurants, known as Beall’s 1860. In 2001 it was restored by Gus Bell and donated to Mercer University in 2008. Today, it’s home to Mercer University’s Robert McDuffie Center for Strings.

Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA

Old Macon Library, 1889

The Macon Public Library & Historical Society, which was chartered in 1876, commissioned D. B. Woodruff to design the city’s first library, completed in 1889 in the Romanesque Revival style. The library (located here until the 1920s) was on the second floor while commercial businesses occupied the first floor. It housed numerous other tenants over the years. [David B. Woodruff was a Connecticut native who came to Georgia in 1853 and served with the Macon Volunteers (Infantry) in the Civil War. He designed several important buildings in Macon and Augusta].

In the 1960s, the building was home to the College Discotheque, a popular hangout and music venue. On 2 May 1969, the Allman Brothers Band played their first gig in Macon here. They had recently moved to town to be near Phil Walden and Capricorn Records.

After falling into disrepair and facing demolition in the late 20th century, the old library was completely restored by Tony Widner around 2007. It’s now known as the Library Ballroom and serves as an event venue.

Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA