Tag Archives: Sidney Lanier

Judge Clifford Anderson House, 1859, Macon

This Tuscan-inspired Victorian is one of the most architecturally interesting houses in the Orange Street neighborhood and a well-loved Macon landmark. It was built by Judge Clifford Anderson, who practiced law with Sidney Lanier’s father Robert for a time in Macon. He was also the brother of Sidney Lanier’s mother Mary Jane. In 1846, Anderson served as the first president of the Macon chapter of the YMCA. Anderson was a member of the Confederate Congress and a captain in the Floyd Rifles. He served several terms in the state legislature after the war and also served as state Attorney General.

National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA

Sidney Lanier Cottage, Circa 1840, Macon

Built circa 1840 by Larkin Griffin, founder and namesake of Griffin, Georgia, this was the birthplace of poet, flautist, and Confederate signal corpsman Sidney Clopton Lanier on 3 February 1842. His grandparents, Sterling and Sarah Lanier were living here at the time of his birth. Sidney’s father, Robert Lanier, was a friend of the Griffins and had a law practice in Griffin. He and his wife, Mary Jane Anderson Lanier, were in Macon for Sidney’s birth because of the availability of medical facilities. The house was moved from a nearby lot to its present location around 1879 and the front porch was added. It was remodeled again in the early 1900s. Today, the Sidney Lanier Cottage is owned and operated as a museum and event space by the Historic Macon Foundation.

In his time, Lanier was Georgia’s most renowned literary figure, penning the famed poems “The Marshes of Glynn” and “Song of the Chattahoochee”. He was also a well-respected musician, serving as first chair flute with Baltimore’s Peabody Symphony Orchestra for seven season and composing a cantata for the American centennial celebration in Philadelphia in 1876.

National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA

2nd Street Storefronts, Macon

The 300th block of 2nd Street is quite colorful. The blue building on the right has Vitrolite panels on the lower floor. This was most commonly found on jewelry stores and theatres in the mid-20th century, though I don’t know what this building housed.

In this same block is the restaurant, Tzango at Laniers, which has great windows honoring the poet (and flautist) Sidney Lanier, who practiced law in this structure with his father, Robert S. Lanier, and his uncle, Clifford Anderson, from 1868-1872.

Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA