Tag Archives: Royston GA

Dorough Building, 1905, Royston

This was first home to Cunningham’s Furniture and became Carter’s Hardware in 1930. It’s presently the home of the Old Corner Hardware Store Sandwich Shop.

Royston Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Royston GA

Harbin Lumber Company, Royston

Royston Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Royston GA

B. H. Holbrook Building, 1922, Royston

Royston Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Royston GA

Brown Medical Clinic, Circa 1955, Royston

Doctor’s offices of this style were quite common from the 1950s to the early 1970s. I’m not sure why it was such a popular choice, but they seemed to get the job done. This was named in memory of Dr. Stewart Dixon Brown, Sr. (1881-1952), and operated by his son, also a physician. The senior Dr. Brown was a beloved physician in Royston. A historical marker in front of the clinic notes that Dr. Brown served the people for 40 years, performing 35,000 operations. Since Royston had no hospital, he traveled from house to house in his early practice. He then opened a small hospital. It was the only such facility in the area until Dr. Brown’s childhood friend, Ty Cobb, gave money for the construction of Cobb Memorial in 1950. Dr. Brown was the first superintendent of Cobb Memorial.

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Royston GA

First United Methodist Church, 1911, Royston

The Royston Methodist Church was established in 1877 by Reverend Samuel Gaines, when the community was still known as Cross Roads. The first services were held in a log school house on Franklin Springs Road. A frame church was built circa 1880 as the congregation had outgrown the school house, but it was destroyed by a tornado in 1886. A second house of worship replaced it in 1888. It was replaced by the present structure in 1911.

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Royston GA

Bond-Baker-Carter House, 1878, Royston

This was restored by Royston First United Methodist Church and is now used as their administrative office. The original turret was taller and more conical but the restoration is still impressive.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Royston GA

Victorian House, Circa 1896, Royston

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Royston GA

Boswell House, 1906, Royston

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Royston GA

Georgian Cottage, Circa 1900, Royston

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Royston GA

McConnell House, Circa 1888, Royston

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Royston GA