Tag Archives: –PUTNAM COUNTY GA–

Gable Front Tenant House, Putnam County

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --PUTNAM COUNTY GA--

Rockville Academy, 1889, Putnam County

Believed to be the first ‘consolidation academy’ in Georgia, Rockville was built as a one-story schoolhouse in 1889 and opened in January 1890. Consolidation academies grew out of a state directive to close numerous rural schools that had sprung up every few miles and consolidate the students into a centrally located ‘district’ school.

The academy was supported by the local Farmers Alliance and built on land donated by Henry DeJarnette, who served as chairman of the Board of Trustees tasked with locating and building the school. The first class consisted of 65 students and nine grades but grew rapidly. As a result, the structure was expanded and the second floor added in 1911. A tenth grade was added at this time. Much of the work was done by students in the academy’s progressive vocational program, said to be the first in the state.

Frank Branch, who served as Rockville’s first regular headmaster, was associated with the school for 22 years, later serving as president of Andrew College, the Georgia State College for Men in Tifton, and South Georgia College in McRae.

The economic woes of the 1920s and 1930s led to the decline of the community and school. In 1944, Rockville Academy closed. The property was restored by former students and descendants in recent years and they continue to maintain it.

Rockville Academy and St. Paul Methodist Church Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --PUTNAM COUNTY GA--, Rockville GA

St. Paul United Methodist Church, 1897, Rockville

St. Paul Methodist Church was originally known as Enterprise. They worshiped a few miles away in a church built in 1871 by William and Kinchon Little and assumed the name of St. Paul in 1879. In 1897, they merged with another church in the area, New Hope, and built this structure adjacent to Rockville Academy. The land was donated by Professor F. G. Branch, principal of the academy, and the land was chosen because it was halfway between the old St. Paul Church and New Hope Church.

Rockville Academy and St. Paul Methodist Church Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --PUTNAM COUNTY GA--, Rockville GA

Rock Hawk Effigy, Putnam County

From the Rock Hawk website: It is not known who built the Rock Eagle or Rock Hawk Effigies, nor exactly when or why. The effigies were located on land occupied by Native Americans before early settlers took ownership via treaties and land grants shortly after 1800.

In 1805 Robert White acquired the property where the Rock Hawk Effigy is located through a land lottery but sold it in 1818 to Kinchen Little, who would become one of Putnam County’s most prominent citizens. (Rock Hawk was often known as the “Sparta Road Eagle” or “Little Eagle,” which generally referred to the Little family, but many interpreted this to mean an eagle smaller than Rock Eagle.)

The Rock Eagle Effigy is located at the University of Georgia 4-H Center on US Highway 441 in Putnam County. Dr. A.R. Kelly of the University of Georgia, after at least a couple of years of interest in the local mounds, became involved with the WPA (Works Progress Administration) in 1936 to conduct numerous excavations and surveys at Rock Eagle. They recovered small amounts of aboriginal pottery, chipped stone, and daub, which were not considered significant and suggested to many archaeologists and others that the В“cleanВ” mound was used for religious purposes. During that time, the effigy was reconstructed to the 1877 measurements of C.C. Jones. By 1938 the fence, walkway, and tower were added to finish off the preservation of the mound, as it appears today.

At the time that Dr. A. R. Kelly of the University of Georgia and the WPA (Works Progress Administration) were excavating at the Rock Eagle Effigy, a letter dated March 23, 1936 was sent from George A. Turner of the Rural Resettlement Administration to Richard W. Smith, Secretary Treasurer of the Society of Georgia Archaeology concerning a third bird effigy. The letter referred to a map of Putnam County prepared by Turner, which showed the locations of important archaeological sites. In addition to Rock Eagle (“Scott Eagle Mound”) and Rock Hawk (“Sparta Road Eagle”) he identified the following mound, which became known as the Pressley (Presley) Mound: “No.3, Northwest of Eatonton on the Eatonton-Godfrey road is known as the old Pressley place. There is, at this time a large pile of rock, and someone stated that this pile of rock was once in the same shape of the Scott Eagle Mound but was destroyed by moving part of the rock. Indian relics have been found near this location.

1 Comment

Filed under --PUTNAM COUNTY GA--

Concord United Methodist Church, Putnam County

William B. Pritchard and Thomas Johnston built a log church known as Victory in 1810, on the Milledgeville-Athens stagecoach road. The congregation changed its name to Concord in 1812. It was the first Methodist church west of the Oconee River. I have been unable to locate a date for the construction of the present structure.

Leave a comment

Filed under --PUTNAM COUNTY GA--

Carnegie Library, 1915, Eatonton

This still serves as Eatonton’s public library.

Eatonton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --PUTNAM COUNTY GA--, Eatonton GA

Colonial Revival Houses, Eatonton

Various examples of the Colonial Revival style can be found on historic Madison Avenue.

Like other early-20th-century revivals, they can be quite eclectic.

Eatonton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --PUTNAM COUNTY GA--, Eatonton GA

New South Cottages, Eatonton

New South Cottages were a popular style from 1890-1910. They’re similar to Georgian Cottages, but asymmetrical. They incorporate many different styles, including Folk Victorian and Colonial Revival, as in these examples on historic Madison Avenue.

Leave a comment

Filed under --PUTNAM COUNTY GA--, Eatonton GA

Queen Anne Cottage, Eatonton

Eatonton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --PUTNAM COUNTY GA--, Eatonton GA

Wilkins-Cooper-Jenkins House, Circa 1817 & 1885, Eatonton

This house has an ornamented tower which is obscured by the trees on the right, but otherwise, its wonderful Victorian Gothic details are visible here. According to the National Register of Historic Places, it was built as a four-room central hallway house and expanded over the years as it passed from family to family. The Victorian triple gables and tower were added around 1885.

Eatonton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --PUTNAM COUNTY GA--, Eatonton GA