Tag Archives: North Georgia Theatres & Auditoriums

Holly Theatre, 1948, Dahlonega

dahlonega-ga-holly-theatre-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-north-georgia-usa-2017

Like many of Georgia’s historic theatres, the Holly has been restored and still shows movies and serves as a popular performance space.

dahlonega-ga-holly-theatre-marquee-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-north-georgia-usa-2017

National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --LUMPKIN COUNTY GA--, Dahlonega GA

Opera House, 1910, Commerce

commerce-ga-opera-house-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-north-georgia-usa-2017

Commerce Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JACKSON COUNTY GA--, Commerce GA

President Theatre, 1935, Manchester

historic president theatre manchester ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Originally part of the Martin group, the President Theatre was designed by Atlanta architects McKendree Tucker and Albert Howell. It was named the President, of course, for FDR’s association with the area. After many years of serving Manchester, it closed in the 1980s. It’s being completely restored and is back in business.

4 Comments

Filed under --MERIWETHER COUNTY GA--, Manchester GA

Martin Theatre, Early 1950s, Thomson

Historic Downtown Thomson GA McDuffie County Martin Theatre Twin Cinema Current Run Movies Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Built by the Martin chain in the early 1950s, the interesting architecture of this theatre has been a central feature of downtown Thomson ever since. It became a twin theatre about 30 years ago and is open as a first-run venue today, known as the Thomson Twin Cinema.  The blocks above the marquee once read MARTIN. This central part of the historic downtown, on Main Street (busy US Highway 78) is the most visually interesting to me.

Historic Downtown Thomson GA McDuffie County Main Street Storefronts Twin Cinema Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Thomson Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --McDUFFIE COUNTY GA--, Thomson GA

Opera House, 1883, Washington

Historic Downtown Washington GA Ruffin Flag Company Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

This was originally Washington’s Opera House and was also used as the Wsahington Loan & Banking Company. It’s now home to the Ruffin Flag Company. Thanks to Amber Brooke Jordan for the identification.

Washington Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WILKES COUNTY GA--, Washington GA

Union Theatre, 1947, Union Point

Union Theatre Union Point GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

The Union Theatre closed in the early 1960s and was abandoned for many years. From 1984 until 1997 it was a furniture store and from 1997-2007 it was a harness and saddlery shop. Community volunteers have led its revitalization for several years and though they still aren’t finished, it’s looking nice.

Union Point Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Union Point GA

Campus Theatre, 1935, Milledgeville

Milledgeville GA Baldwin County Campus Theatre Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

The Campus showed its last first-run film in 1983. Purchased by Georgia College in 2008, it has been restored and is now used for dramatic productions by the school. There is also a Barnes & Noble bookstore located inside the theatre.

Milledgeville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --BALDWIN COUNTY GA--, Milledgeville GA