Tag Archives: North Georgia Statues

Ty Cobb Statue, 1977, Royston

Tyrus Raymond Cobb was born on 18 December 1886 at a place known as Narrows in nearby Banks County. He is one of the immortal legends of the sport and spent most of his career (1905-1928) with the Detroit Tigers, finishing with the Philadelphia Athletics. He was the first man inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1936. Ty Cobb, like his peers of the era, didn’t make a fortune in baseball but he invested his earnings into Coca-Cola and other stocks and made millions. His donations helped build the first comprehensive hospital in Franklin County, in memory of his parents. In 1953 he created the Cobb Educational Fund to assist students in need. The hospital has grown exponentially and the scholarships are still being awarded.  Cobb died in Atlanta on 17 July 1961.

The statue was commissioned by C & S Bank president Mills Lane and created by the great sculptor, Felix de Weldon, who is best known for the Marine Corps (Iwo Jima) Memorial. It was first placed at the old Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium in 1977 and made the move to Turner Field in 1997. When the Braves left Turner Field for SunTrust Park in 2017, they decided to leave the Cobb statue behind, citing it wasn’t theirs to move. The Atlanta Recreation Authority and Georgia State University both made claims for the statue but ultimately relinquished it to the City of Royston. It’s become the biggest tourist attraction in town, and really, where else would it need to be?

 

1 Comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Royston GA

Crawford W. Long Statue, Danielsville

Crawford W Long Statue Danielsville GA Madison County Courthouse Grounds Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Dr. Crawford Williamson Long was born in Danielsville on 1 November 1815. He obtained his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1839. While in college, Long participated in what were known as “ether frolics”, obtaining a slightly altered state by the use of nitrous oxide. This led him to believe there was a possibility that a similar application could be used to alleviate pain during surgery. Upon returning to Georgia, he began a practice in Jefferson. Since he couldn’t procure nitrous oxide in rural Georgia he began experimenting with sulfuric ether. On 30 March 1842 he used sulfuric ether to render patient James M. Venable unconscious for the removal of a tumor. When Venable regained consciousness, he felt no pain. This was the first use of sulfuric ether as an anesthetic and Long went on to become nationally recognized for his pioneering work. He later moved to Athens, where he continued a thriving practice. He died there on 16 June 1878. Long County, in southeast Georgia, was named in his honor in 1920.

In 1926, a statue of Long by Scottish-American sculptor J. Massey Rhind was placed in the National Statuary Hall in the United States Capitol. This is likely contemporary to that date and appears to be a copy. The base of the large statue contains general biographical information and this quote: “My profession is to me a ministry from God.”

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/science-medicine/crawford-long-1815-1878

3 Comments

Filed under --MADISON COUNTY GA--, Danielsville GA

Brer Rabbit Statue, Eatonton

Eatonton GA Putnam County Courthouse Lawn Brer Rabbit Statue Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Brer Rabbit – Born and Bred in the Briar Patch

He Survives Forever by His Wit, His Courage and His Cunning

This is one of two statues of Brer Rabbit it Eatonton, the other one being located at the nearby Uncle Remus Museum. That statue was stolen in 2011, but was recovered, minus its pipe and an ear, soon after it disappeared.

Brer Rabbit Statue Putnam County Courthouse Eatonton GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Eatonton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --PUTNAM COUNTY GA--, Eatonton GA

LaFayette Square, LaGrange

LaGrange GA LaFayette Square Fountain Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

The focal point of downtown LaGrange is LaFayette Square, which is anchored by a bronze copy of Ernest Eugene Hiolle’s famous statue of the Marquis de LaFayette. LaGrange is named for the Marquis’s French country estate. The statue was placed in the square in 1976 and is on permanent loan to the city from LaGrange College.

LaGrange GA LaFayette Square Fountain Detail Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

LaGrange Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --TROUP COUNTY GA--, LaGrange GA