Before the establishment of Mitchell, the nearest community was Scruggsville. In 1887, its post office was moved to be near the newly laid tracks of the Augusta, Gibson & Sandersville Railroad and its name changed to honor its president, Robert Mitchell. The town was incorporated in 1896.
Tag Archives: North Georgia Post Offices
The first part of this house was built circa 1840 as a residence and tavern and in 1860 was purchased by Jeremiah Ayers. He joined the original part of the house and an adjacent post office with a breezeway. Ayers was a merchant and tanner and upon his death in 1885 his widow Louisa and their daughter Lizzie began taking in boarders to help support themselves. They lived in the basement and rented the upper rooms. Lizzie married Robert Little in 1901. They raised their children here and continued to take in boarders. Around 1930 they renovated and slightly expanded the boarding house and opened a coffee shop in the dining room. After Mr. Little’s death in 1943, Lizzie continued operating the business. In 1949, she became editor of the Carnesville Herald. She died in 1963.
National Register of Historic Places
While photographing Moreland, we had the good luck of running into Carol Chancey. Carol, a member of the Moreland Cultural Arts Association, is very enthusiastic about the history of this place. We talked a lot about Lewis Grizzard and Erskine Caldwell and plans for preserving what is left of Moreland. She also identified the buildings seen here. Besides the Cureton & Cole store on the left, she notes that the middle building was a doctor’s office and the one on the right was the old post office.