My use of the term “ghost town” for Devereux implies its historic area. As you might expect, there’s a Dollar General here now so it’s still a populated area.
Tag Archives: North Georgia Murals
This mural in downtown Jefferson commemorates the Martin Institute, a coeducational center of learning first established as the Jackson County Academy in 1818. The name was changed around 1860 upon the bequest of a large monetary gift by the late Inferior Court Judge William Duncan Martin. The original home of the institute was burned in 1883 and replaced by the structured depicted here in 1886. The school’s reputation reached far beyond Jefferson; U. S. Supreme Court Justice Joseph Rucker Lamar was but one of its distinguished alumni. The Institute served the community until 1942, when it was the victim of an arsonist who turned out to be the son of the Jefferson Police Chief.
This mural, one of several tributes around Harlem, was created by Andrew Sabori. It’s located on the side of the Columbia Theatre. Though there is some debate as to whether he was born in Harlem or Covington, Harlem claims Oliver Hardy as its favorite son. He later lived in Milledgeville in Macon, as well. It was in Milledgeville, working as projectionist in a silent movie house, that he set out to become an actor. Hardy was one of the first comedy superstars, as the American half of Laurel and Hardy.
Between Summerville and the Alabama line on Georgia Highway 114, Lyerly is located in one of the most scenic areas of Northwest Georgia.
A variety of early- to mid-20th-century structures survive in varying states of repair.
It’s not known exactly when Lyerly was established but has close ties to the nearby lost towns of Glenwood and Melville. The Chattanooga Rome & Columbus Railway built a depot in what would become Lyerly in 1888 and the town was incorporated in 1891. It’s thought to be named for Tennessee bank president Charles Abner Lyerly, who had investments in the area.
Marie Hanna writes: The green building is owned by Dickie Tanner. Years ago it was the Dinner Bell Cafe. The Tanner’s used the building for their glove mill. Later a Christian Book Store and bakery was on the right side of the building and a church was on the left side of the the building.
Derek Reynolds, writes via Facebook that this was a sausage factory in the 1940s. Marie Hanna adds that it was later known as the Ragland gas station and was used to store old cars. The Raglands donated to the city a few years ago. Billy W. Gilliland: The building Marie referred to as Ragland gas station is partially correct. It was a gas station, but was officially Ragland’s garage. They worked on cars, trucks and tractors, and fixed flat tires. They also did welding and anything else you needed done. Selling gas was probably just a small part of their business. You could always count on them for quality work and reasonable prices. Prior to that it was Sittion’s garage.