This view from 2nd Street looks past the Confederate monument to the old Bankers Health & Life Insurance Company Building (designed by William Elliott Dunwody IV for Parks Lee Hay and completed in 1941), which was touted on postcards and in the press as Macon’s first “skyscraper”.
Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
A simple stone pillar with this bronze plaque honors Rabun County native son Logan Edwin Bleckley (3 July 1827-6 March 1907), who served the Supreme Court of Georgia as an Associate and Chief Justice. He was quite the renaissance man with interests far beyond law. Poetry, philosophy, and mathematics were just some of the subjects he pursued in his spare time. Though considered a brilliant jurist, his humility prompted him to feel unqualified to sit on the bench and citing health issues he resigned both his brief tenures on the state’s highest court. Bleckley County is named in his honor.
Sharing the Washington town square with the Confederate monument is this unique memorial to the African-American veterans of the Revolutionary War, dedicated in 2012. It’s estimated that over 5,000 black patriots served in the Continental army and though efforts have been made to place a similar remembrance in Washington, D.C., this is thought to be the only such work of this scale and prominent placement in the country. The bust is meant to represent the best known black patriot of Georgia, Austin Dabney. Dabney and his master, Richard Aycock moved from North Carolina to Wilkes County in the late 1770s and to avoid service himself, Aycock sent Dabney to serve in his stead. He was present at the Battle of Kettle Creek on 14 February 1779, among Georgia’s most important engagements in the war. Dabney was granted his freedom, as well as land in Wilkes County and a pension in reward for his service. As there is no contemporary image of Dabney, sculptor Kinzey Branham used an image of James Armistead Lafayette, a better-known African-American patriot who also gained his freedom after the war.
This memorial fountain, made of local granite, of course, is located in Elberton Plaza, across Oliver Street from the Elbert County Courthouse.
Placed by the Sergeant Jasper of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1928, this bronze tablet honors Hillsboro’s favorite son, Benjamin Harvey Hill.
“In recognition of Milledgeville’s two historic parkways as true historic sites. Laid out in 1804 on the city’s original plot as integral parts of two streets leading up to the statehouse. Washington, named for the nation’s first president, and Jefferson, named for the incumbent. Planned as embellishments to the city founded to be Georgia’s capital, threatened with destruction through the years, saved by public outcry, preserved and landscaped by the Milledgeville Garden Club with the help of city officials and local contributors, treasured as tangible reminders of Milledgeville’s historic past.”
Milledgeville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
Once the largest apple market in the South, Cornelia is still a large producer. The Southern Railway gave this monument, a community icon and well-known curiosity throughout the state, to the city in 1926.