Tag Archives: North Georgia Memorials

Hillcrest Cemetery, Bowman

The Bowman City Cemetery was renamed Hillcrest in 1947. Many of the gravestones and the pavilion are much earlier.

The angel monument overlooking the Gloer family plot is perhaps the most ornate in the cemetery. Several of the burials in this plot date to the 1890s and early 1900s.

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Bowman GA

World War I Memorial, 1922, Hartwell

In Memoriam of the Hart County Soldiers who died in the World War, 1917-19.

These lost their lives: John W. Adams; James B. Estes; Owen J. Alford; John R. Heaton; George W. Cason; Oscar B. McCurley; Preston B. Carter; Lawrence Nix; Samuel J. Chapellear; Gilbert Thompson; William J. Connelley; Vancey J. Wilson; Charles P. Dodd. Colored: Erskin Allen; Anderson Harris; Henry Gaines.

This row of oaks planted and the bronze tablet erected by the Hartwell Federated Woman’s Club.Hartwell GA., June 1922.

Leave a comment

Filed under --HART COUNTY GA--, Hartwell GA

Vietnam War Memorial, 1987, Hartwell

Located on the grounds of Hart County’s courthouse, this moving memorial was one of the first such public installations dedicated to the Vietnam War in Georgia.

From the foothills of northeast Georgia to the jungles of Vietnam we remember the ones who gave their lives.

Ralph Durward Cordell, 1967; Bobby James, 1968; Thaddeus Durrett, 1968; Louis John Clever, 1969; Sammy Howard Whitworth, 1969; Galen Minor Smith, 1969

Never to be Forgotten. The broken V symbolizes the casualties broken dreams, promises and plans. 1959 Vietnam 1975

Dedicated November 15, 1987 by Hart County Citizens to honor the memory of the six Hart County men whose patronage never dimmed; whose loyalty never weakened; whose courage never faltered; so that cherished dreams could be realized for those who come after them.

Leave a comment

Filed under --HART COUNTY GA--, Hartwell GA

Crawford W. Long Statue, Danielsville

Crawford W Long Statue Danielsville GA Madison County Courthouse Grounds Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Dr. Crawford Williamson Long was born in Danielsville on 1 November 1815. He obtained his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1839. While in college, Long participated in what were known as “ether frolics”, obtaining a slightly altered state by the use of nitrous oxide. This led him to believe there was a possibility that a similar application could be used to alleviate pain during surgery. Upon returning to Georgia, he began a practice in Jefferson. Since he couldn’t procure nitrous oxide in rural Georgia he began experimenting with sulfuric ether. On 30 March 1842 he used sulfuric ether to render patient James M. Venable unconscious for the removal of a tumor. When Venable regained consciousness, he felt no pain. This was the first use of sulfuric ether as an anesthetic and Long went on to become nationally recognized for his pioneering work. He later moved to Athens, where he continued a thriving practice. He died there on 16 June 1878. Long County, in southeast Georgia, was named in his honor in 1920.

In 1926, a statue of Long by Scottish-American sculptor J. Massey Rhind was placed in the National Statuary Hall in the United States Capitol. This is likely contemporary to that date and appears to be a copy. The base of the large statue contains general biographical information and this quote: “My profession is to me a ministry from God.”

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/science-medicine/crawford-long-1815-1878

3 Comments

Filed under --MADISON COUNTY GA--, Danielsville GA

Black Patriots Monument, Washington

Black Patriots Revolutionary War Monument Memorial Washington GA Town Square Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Sharing the Washington town square with the Confederate monument is this unique memorial to the African-American veterans of the Revolutionary War, dedicated in 2012. It’s estimated that over 5,000 black patriots served in the Continental army and though efforts have been made to place a similar remembrance in Washington, D.C., this is thought to be the only such work of this scale and prominent placement in the country. The bust is meant to represent the best known black patriot of Georgia, Austin Dabney. Dabney and his master, Richard Aycock moved from North Carolina to Wilkes County in the late 1770s and to avoid service himself, Aycock sent Dabney to serve in his stead. He was present at the Battle of Kettle Creek on 14 February 1779, among Georgia’s most important engagements in the war. Dabney was granted his freedom, as well as land in Wilkes County and a pension in reward for his service. As there is no contemporary image of Dabney, sculptor Kinzey Branham used an image of James Armistead Lafayette, a better-known African-American patriot who also gained his freedom after the war.

Leave a comment

Filed under --WILKES COUNTY GA--, Washington GA

William H. Crawford Memorial, Crawford

Crawford GA Oglethorpe County US Senator Secretary of Treasury William H Crawford Memorial Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

William Harris Crawford (24 February 1772-15 September 1834) was the best known Georgia politician in the early 19th century, though he’s all but forgotten today. Born to a poor farmer in Virginia, he moved to Georgia at the age of 14, and soon began to study law. He was admitted to the bar in 1799. Through his appointment to write a digest of Georgia laws, he came to politics. He was elected to the Georgia House of Representatives in 1803 and allied himself with U. S. Senator James Jackson, the leading opponent of the rampant land speculation that had earlier culminated in the infamous Yazoo Fraud.

Jackson had been a governor of Georgia and a hero of the American Revolution. He was also a bitter rival of Elijah Clarke. Crawford killed Peter Van Alen, one of Clarke’s allies, in a duel in 1802. Then Clarke’s son John (Clark) injured Crawford in another duel. Seeking to end the rivalry, John Clark challenged him to yet another meeting thereafter, but Crawford refused. This infuriated Clark, who whipped a Crawford ally, Judge Charles Tait, in Milledgeville.

Crawford served in the United States Senate from 1807 to 1813. In 1813, he was offered a position as Secretary of War by President James Madison, but turned it down and served two years as Ambassador to France. It was offered to him again in 1815, and he accepted. He served from 1815 to 1816 when he was appointed Secretary of the Treasury by Madison. He served under President Madison and under President James Monroe from 1816 to 1825. He made an unsuccessful bid for President in 1824. In 1825, he was again offered the position of Secretary of Treasury by President John Quincy Adams, but refused due to ailing health. Upon his return to Oglethorpe County he was appointed a judge in Georgia’s Northern Superior Court Circuit. He died on the circuit at Elberton in 1834 and was buried in the Crawford family cemetery near present-day Crawford.

William Harris Crawfor Painted by John Wesley Jarvis Public Domain Image via Wikipedia

Portrait of William Harris Crawford by John Wesley Jarvis

 

1 Comment

Filed under --OGLETHORPE COUNTY GA--, Crawford GA

Brightwell Memorial, Maxeys

Maxeys GA Oglethorpe County A T Guy R Brightwell Schools Scholarship Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

A. T. Brightwell Schools, Inc.

Guy R. Brightwell, a former resident of Maxeys and this home, bequeathed his large estate to this corporation in memory of his father, Augustine Thomas Brightwell, and is used for the education of students of this locality.

The Brightwell scholarships have been administered for many years. Mr. Brightwell was a great advocate of education. Generations of students have benefited with up to 80% of their tuition being paid, the only stipulation being that they live within two miles of Maxeys and maintain passing grades.

2 Comments

Filed under --OGLETHORPE COUNTY GA--, Maxeys GA

Wayside Home Memorial, Union Point

Union Point GA Wayside Home Confederate Memorial Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

The Wayside Home operated in Union Point from 1862-1864, serving over one million meals to Confederate soldiers, sailors, and marines passing through the city, many enroute to the bloodiest battlefields of the Civil War. General James Longstreet paused here in September 1863 enroute to Chickamauga. The home wouldn’t have been possible without the participation of local women, who prepared meals and took care of sick and wounded soldiers around the clock.

A small park overlooking Sibley Avenue memorializes the local women who made the Wayside Home possible: Mrs. James B. Hart (Treasurer); Mrs. M. L. Watson; Mrs. Martha E. Forester; Mrs. Dr. B. F. Carlton (Secretary); Mrs. Philip Yonge; Mrs. Dr. W. A. Moore; Mrs. J. C. Deal; Mrs. P. W. Printup; Mrs. L. Bynum; Mrs. Ira Brown; Mrs. Richard Dilworth; Mrs. E. A. Wagnon; Miss Julia Wagnon; Mrs. Susan Hutchins.

Union Point Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Union Point GA

Slave Cemetery, Culloden

Culloden GA Historic Marker for Slave Cemetery Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Placed in 2000, adjacent to the Culloden City Cemetery, this memorial reads: We know not who they are, but they are loved ones of God and man and will never be forgotten.

Culloden Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --MONROE COUNTY GA--, Culloden GA

Confederate Monument, 1884, Sparta

Hancock County Confederate CSA Monument Memorial Our Confederate Dead Sparta GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Sparta Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --HANCOCK COUNTY GA--, Sparta GA