Tag Archives: North Georgia Jails

Old Columbia County Jail, 1934, Appling

This early Federal Works Project was designed by Augusta architect A. Brian Merry. R. A. Bowen was the contractor. It is now home to the Columbia County Historical Society.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --COLUMBIA COUNTY GA--, Appling GA

Roopville Jail, 1885

Leave a comment

Filed under --CARROLL COUNTY GA--, Roopville GA

Old Banks County Jail, 1906, Homer

homer-ga-old-banks-county-jail-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-north-georgia-usa-2017

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BANKS COUNTY GA--, Homer GA

Meansville Calaboose

meansville-ga-calaboose-old-jail-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-north-georgia-usa-2016

Meansville’s old jail is located next to the fire station. These small “holding jails”, or calabooses as they are properly known, are increasingly uncommon today.

Leave a comment

Filed under --PIKE COUNTY GA--, Meansville GA

Old Jail, Circa 1900, Molena

molena ga old jail photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

This old wooden jail served the city of Molena before incarceration was consolidated into the county jail.

molena ga historic jail building photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Leave a comment

Filed under --PIKE COUNTY GA--, Molena GA

Oglethorpe County Jail, 1878, Lexington

Oglethorpe County Jail Lexington GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

This jail was in use until 2002 and is now owned by Historic Oglethorpe.

Lexington Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --OGLETHORPE COUNTY GA--, Lexington GA

Old Heard County Jail, 1912, Franklin

Franklin GA Old Heard County Jail Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Pauly Jail Company of Alabama built this jail in 1912, for $7,500, using plans by Manley Jail Works of Dalton, Georgia. This jail replaced an 1880 jail that became unfit. The new jail housed up to 16 prisoners upstairs. The County Sheriff (eight sheriffs from 1912-1964) and his family lived downstairs. In the 1930s, two prisoners cut window bars and escaped. Death row prisoners were held here, but the jail’s gallows were never used. In 1964 a new County jail opened on the Franklin Square, and this jail closed. The 1912 jail was National Register listed in 1981. In 1987, Heard County Historical Society rehabilitated this jail, with help from the Callaway Foundation and other donors.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --HEARD COUNTY GA--, Franklin GA