Tag Archives: North Georgia Industrial Sites

Cotton Warehouse, 1890s, Sparta

Built as a cotton warehouse in the 1890s, this structure was best known throughout most of its history as the Sparta Furniture Manufacturing Company. Suzy and Robert Currey bought it in 2012 and have transformed it into Sparta Mushrooms, with numerous specialty varieties being grown and distributed regularly to restaurants in Atlanta and Athens.

Sparta Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --HANCOCK COUNTY GA--, Sparta GA

Dundee Mills, Griffin

This is but one section of the large complex best remembered as Dundee Mills, which began operations in Griffin in the 1880s and was still in business into the present century.

Leave a comment

Filed under --SPALDING COUNTY GA--, Griffin GA

Starr’s Mill, 1907, Fayette County

A grist mill was first established here in 1825  by Hananiah Gilcoat. Whitewater Creek was less than a mile from the Creek Nation and the area was a frontier at the time. The mill changed hands numerous times over the first few decades of its existence until it was purchased by Hilliard Starr in 1866.  In the 13 years that Starr operated the mill, he made a lasting impression on the surrounding community, which would come to bear his name.

The present mill, the third to be sited on the mill foundation at Whitewater Creek, was built by William T. Glower to replace its predecessor which was destroyed by a fire. By this time, the mill was also powering a sawmill and a dynamo which powered nearby Senoia. The mill was operational until 1959.

 

 

1 Comment

Filed under --FAYETTE COUNTY GA--, Starr's Mill GA

W. A. Brannon Store (1894) & Moreland Knitting Mills (1904), Moreland

The two-story building on the right was the W. A. Brannon Mercantile, built in 1894 by R. D. Cole of Newnan. On the left is the Moreland Knitting Mill, built in 1904 as a cotton warehouse. An alley originally separated the two buildings but they were connected by the middle building (with square canopy) in 1937. Brannon sold the old warehouse for use as a knitting mill in 1920, which was originally known as Moreland Hosiery Mills (1920-1927) and later operated as Moreland Knitting Mills (1927-1968).

 

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --COWETA COUNTY GA--, Moreland GA

Gallant-Belk Building, Hartwell

The Gallant-Belk department store was located on the first floor of this building and the Hartwell Garment Company, a sewing factory, operated upstairs. It’s an antique store today.

Hartwell Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --HART COUNTY GA--, Hartwell GA

Deconstruction of Crystal Springs Bleachery, Chickamauga

The Bowen-Jewell Bag Company first opened a bleachery across from the Central of Georgia Depot in 1909. A cotton mill was added in 1914 and the business was incorporated as the Crystal Springs Bleachery Company. A larger more modern bleachery was constructed in 1923, making the facility one of the largest employers in the region. The main product of the bleachery was printed cotton fabric, primarily in the form of bags. Dan River Mills purchased the business in 1969 and by 1976 had a peak employment of 1200. Downsizing began in 1977 and by 1982, Dan River announced plans to close the facility. In February 1983, former Chickamauga mayor Frank Pierce, Steve Tarvin and Stanley Cunningham purchased the business and saved about 200 jobs. Downsizing continued over the following decades and the business, by now known as the Crystal Springs Print Works, was shuttered in 2013. Even with a reputation as one of the best printers in the business, Crystal Springs is emblematic of the loss of U. S. textile business to China; whether that’s the fault of bureaucratic regulation or cheaper labor remains a topic of debate. Having grown up in a town with hundreds of textile jobs myself, the reason isn’t as important as the loss of a way of life. Chickamauga was unusual in that local investors did their best to keep it afloat, and that deserves some recognition.

The property was sold to a recovery company, which is slowly removing the valuable heart pine floors and other framework, handmade bricks, and salvageable historic fixtures and metal. A residential community is planned for the site in the future.

 

 

 

3 Comments

Filed under --WALKER COUNTY GA--, Chickamauga GA

Commercial Block, Mansfield

mansfield ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing north georgia usa 2016

I’m not sure what this structure originally served as, but it’s now occupied by Air Power, Inc., a leading distributor of specialized industrial equipment. The building has been nicely restored.

Ava Campbell writes: [It was the] Pacific Uniform plant in the 50’s and 60’s if I’m remembering correctly. It employed many women from the area inc. Newborn, Shady Dale and Covington.

2 Comments

Filed under --NEWTON COUNTY GA--, Mansfield GA