Tag Archives: North Georgia Historic Markers

Auraria, Georgia

historic-auraria-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-north-georgia-usa-2017

As the Georgia Historical Commission marker notes: Auraria, (Gold), in 1832 the scene of Georgia’s first gold rush, was named by John C. Calhoun, owner of a nearby mine worked by Calhoun slaves. Auraria and Dahlonega were the two real gold towns in the U.S. before 1849. Between 1829 and 1839 about $20,000,000 in gold was mined in Georgia’s Cherokee country. From Auraria in 1858 the “Russel boys”, led by Green Russell, went west and established another Auraria near the mouth of Cherry Creek that later became Denver Colo. Green Russell uncovered a fabulous lode called Russell Gulch near which was built Central City, Colo., “richest square mile on earth.”

As to the Calhoun Mine, it was indeed owned by the John C. Calhoun, seventh Vice President of the United States.

Leave a comment

Filed under --LUMPKIN COUNTY GA--, Auraria GA

Wayside Home Memorial, Union Point

Union Point GA Wayside Home Confederate Memorial Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

The Wayside Home operated in Union Point from 1862-1864, serving over one million meals to Confederate soldiers, sailors, and marines passing through the city, many enroute to the bloodiest battlefields of the Civil War. General James Longstreet paused here in September 1863 enroute to Chickamauga. The home wouldn’t have been possible without the participation of local women, who prepared meals and took care of sick and wounded soldiers around the clock.

A small park overlooking Sibley Avenue memorializes the local women who made the Wayside Home possible: Mrs. James B. Hart (Treasurer); Mrs. M. L. Watson; Mrs. Martha E. Forester; Mrs. Dr. B. F. Carlton (Secretary); Mrs. Philip Yonge; Mrs. Dr. W. A. Moore; Mrs. J. C. Deal; Mrs. P. W. Printup; Mrs. L. Bynum; Mrs. Ira Brown; Mrs. Richard Dilworth; Mrs. E. A. Wagnon; Miss Julia Wagnon; Mrs. Susan Hutchins.

Union Point Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Union Point GA

Methodist Monument, Memory Hill, Milledgeville

Milledgeville GA Baldwin County Memory Hill Cemetery Methodist Monument Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

This marks the original site of the Methodist Church erected about the year 1805. Bishop Asbury and Bishop McKendree in 1815 held here a conference which James O. Andrew attended. Bishop Capers, Dr. Lovick Pierce, and many other notable figures of Methodism served as pastors. The daughter of Bishop Capers is buried near this spot. In gracious appreciation of the pioneer work done by this great church this boulder is erected by the Robert E. Lee Chapter UDC, 1929.

Milledgeville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BALDWIN COUNTY GA--, Milledgeville GA

Battle of Culloden Historic Marker

Battle of Culloden GA Civil War Historic Marker Wilsons Raiders Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

On April 19, 1865, a part of Wilson’s Federal Raiders, moving toward Macon, encountered the “Worrill Grays” near this spot. The “Grays,” numbering less than 200 men, fought a magnificent battle, greatly outnumbered. After a two-hour battle they finally yielded to the superior force, leaving their dead and wounded in Federal hands. So fierce was the fighting that the two men in the 17th Indiana (mounted) Infantry who captured the flag of this fighting unit, were awarded Medals of Honor by the United States Government.

This marker was placed by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1956.

Culloden Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MONROE COUNTY GA--, Culloden GA