Tag Archives: North Georgia Confederate Monuments

Civil War Memorials, Palmetto

The marker placed by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1956 notes: The Army of Tennessee [Confederate] abandoned Atlanta Sept. 2, 1864, moved to Lovejoy, then to Palmetto, Sept. 19. Most of the Army entrenched 3 miles N. Gen. John B. Hood had headquarters here from Sept. 19 to 29, 1864. Pres. Jefferson Davis visited here Sept. 25th and on the 26th made a speech to the troops 3 miles N. where he was serenaded by the 20th Louisiana Ban. That same night Gen. Howell Cobb and Gov. Isham Harris of Tenn. spoke. On the 27th Pres. Davis left for Montgomery. Gen. Hardee was relieved of his command here, Sept. 28, and on the 29th Gen. Hood moved from here to start the disastrous Tennessee Campaign.

The obelisk was placed by the United Daughters of the Confederacy in 1906 to honor Company C, 19th Georgia Infantry and Company I, 2nd Regiment, Georgia Volunteers, Wheeler’s Cavalry.

Leave a comment

Filed under --FULTON COUNTY GA--, Palmetto GA

Monument to the Women of the Sixties, 1913, Thomson

McDuffie County Monument to the Women of the Sixties UDC Thomson GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

This tribute, executed in Italian marble by the McNeel Monument Company, was placed by the veterans, the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Woman’s Club of Thomson to honor the women who kept the home front during the Civil War. Based on a sketch by Lucie Boyd Rivers, it features a young girl wearing homespun gathering the Confederate flag in her arms. It stands on a pedestal flanked by benches on both sides and originally contained a fountain, as well, but that has long been removed.  While the names of McDuffie County Civil War veterans are listed on the monument, it’s clear that this was specifically placed to honor women. It’s one of just a few such tributes in Georgia, and one of the most beautiful.

Leave a comment

Filed under --McDUFFIE COUNTY GA--, Thomson GA

Confederate Monument, 1908, Eatonton

Eatonton GA Putnam County Confederate Monument Downtown Historic District Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Facing east in front of the courthouse, a life-sized Italian marble soldier stands guard atop a granite base. Dedicated on 22 Jul 1908 by the Dixie Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy, the monument was erected by the McNeel Marble Company for $1900. A crowd of three thousand attended the dedication, with General Clement A. Evans providing the oration.

Eatonton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --PUTNAM COUNTY GA--, Eatonton GA

Confederate Monument, 1910, Monticello

Monticello GA Jasper County Confederate Monument Courthouse Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

In his book about Georgia’s Confederate monuments, The Standing Army, Frank M. McKenney wrote: “The town square of Monticello was crowded with people and festooned with Confederate colors on 6 April 1910…a 32′ shaft flanked by two young soliders was unveiled.”

Jasper County Confederate Monument Monticello GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

The monument was sponsored by the UDC and was designed by E. B. Frazier of the McNeel Marble Company.

Confederate Monument Jasper County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Monticello Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JASPER COUNTY GA--, Monticello GA

Confederate Memorial, 1898, Greensboro

Greensboro GA Confederate Monument Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Located on the Greene County Courthouse lawn, this memorial was erected at a cost of $2000 by the women of Greene County at a time when Confederate memorial-building was at its zenith. The “women” were members of the Confederate Memorial Association and the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The dedication in August 1898 was nearly left out of the local paper due to news of the Spanish-American War.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Greensboro GA