Tag Archives: North Georgia Commercial Architecture

Farmers Supply Company & Akin Lodge No. 537, 1910, Taylorsville

Typical of many commercial blocks built in late-19th- and early-20th-century Georgia, this structure served a dual purpose as a general store and Masonic lodge.

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Taylorsville GA

Post Office & General Store, Taylorsville

2 Comments

December 31, 2020 · 12:00 pm

Cotton Gin, Taylorsville

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Taylorsville GA

A. W. Taylor Warehouse, Taylorsville

 

1 Comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Taylorsville GA

Taylorsville, Georgia

In History of Bartow County, Formerly Cass [originally published in 1933], Lucy Josephine Cunyus wrote: The town which would become Taylorsville was carved out of an agricultural community whose fortunes were greatly enhanced by the completion of the Cartersville & Van Wert Railroad in 1870, which connected to the Western & Atlantic Railroad in Cartersville. An immediate result of the railroad was that a new town was laid out on property belonging to Thomas Ausley and Israel P. Davis of Polk County. A post office had already been established in 1856 and had been given the name of Mountain House. It served the community until 1860 with Benjamin Franklin Williams serving as postmaster. Taylorsville was named for Edward Gammage Taylor, who completed the town survey. Mr. Ausley was thought to be the first mayor. The first house was built by John Loudermilk east of the town. Some of the first merchants were J. M. Smith, Sr. and Rowan Hanie. Taylorsville was not officially incorporated until August 19,1916, with J. W. Kennedy as mayor and both W. M. Dorsey and W. D. Trippe as alderman. The town cemetery, known today as the Old Taylorsville Church Cemetery, lies partly in Polk County. Israel P. Davis was the first to be buried, as he gave the land for it.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Taylorsville GA

World’s First Coca-Cola Mural , 1894, Cartersville

In the early 20th century, Coca-Cola wall paintings, or murals, were ubiquitous in small towns all over America. But through research and authentication by the Coca-Cola Company, it has been determined that the very first such advertisement was created here in Cartersville, on the side of Young Brothers Pharmacy, in 1894. It was painted by syrup salesman James Couden.The Coca-Cola Company regularly refreshed the sign with new paint until the late 1970s, and in the 1980s, Dean Cox, who had purchased the pharmacy from one of the Young brothers’ daughters in 1970, became curious about the historical sign. In 1989, he hired Alison Free and Aggie Ferguson to restore it to its original condition. 25 layers of paint were removed to reveal the mural visible today. Coca-Cola fans and collectors from all over the world have been making pilgrimages to Cartersville to see it ever since.

Cartersville Downtown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Cartersville GA

Western and Atlantic Railroad Depot, 1854, Cartersville

One of just a handful of surviving Western and Atlantic Railroad depots, the Cartersville depot now serves as the town’s Welcome Center. That it has survived at all is a bit of a miracle, considering it was in the direct path of Sherman’s forces as they headed into Atlanta. On 20 May 1864, Confederate forces occupied the depot in an effort to protect it, knocking out sections of the wall for use as gun ports. Due to other concerns, Sherman, let the depot stand, but there were light skirmishes between the Confederate and Union forces at the site. About six months later, when Sherman returned to Cartersville, a Union soldier cut the telegraph line from the depot, isolating Cartersville from the outside world, and the March to the Sea was underway.

Cartersville Downtown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Cartersville GA

Grand Theatre, 1924, Cartersville

Cartersville Downtown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Cartersville GA

4 Way Lunch, 1931, Cartersville

Fred Garrison began selling made-to-order hamburgers on the corner of Main Street and Gilmer Street in downtown Cartersville in 1931. The business was so successful, in large part due to the boost in traffic from tourists passing through on the Dixie Highway, that Garrison built the no-frills lunch counter you see today. Fred’s son Ernest took over in 1972 and operated it for the rest of his life. It survived a fire in 1993 and remains as popular now as it was in 1931.

You can visit Monday-Saturday from 6AM-3PM, but you have to bring cash, and don’t try calling ahead to place an order. The 4 Way prides itself on the fact that they’ve never had a telephone.

Cartersville Downtown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Cartersville GA

Industrial Ruins, Stilesboro

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Stilesboro GA