Tag Archives: North Georgia Commercial Architecture

Filling Station, Arcade

A 2014 article in the Jackson Herald Today notes: …The town was the first local place to sell beer in the 1940s when the rest of Jackson County and most of North Georgia was dry. It was reincorporated in 1961 with a low local beer tax, a move that made the town the beer capital of the state because of its overall low prices. For several decades, the town supplied cheap beer not just to thousands of nearby UGA students, but also bootleggers all across North Georgia.
In the early 1970s, Arcade became the first local town to sell liquor, again with very low local taxes. Changes in state law eventually gutted Arcade’s ability to sell cheap booze and more towns in North Georgia went wet, moves that undermined the town’s boozy political and economic standing. It was no longer the beer capital of the state, but its seedy reputation had been firmly established in the public’s mind.

I was unable to locate any other history of the town, but it’s barely distinguishable as a separate community today, with just a few remaining commercial structures from an earlier era. A Bulldog Package store and Bulldog Tavern seem to be the only businesses in town.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --JACKSON COUNTY GA--, Arcade GA

Historic Storefront, Arcade

Leave a comment

Filed under --JACKSON COUNTY GA--, Arcade GA

Historic Commercial Architecture, Jefferson

The Randolph-Porter Building (Circa 1891) is the gem of Jefferson’s commercial historic district.

There are some particularly nice examples of turn-of-the-century commercial storefronts on Washington Street, near the courthouse.

Walking down the hill and around the corner from the courthouse to the Crawford W. Long Museum, more historic storefronts can be found on College Street.

Jefferson Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --JACKSON COUNTY GA--, Jefferson GA

Dundee Mills, Griffin

This is but one section of the large complex best remembered as Dundee Mills, which began operations in Griffin in the 1880s and was still in business into the present century.

Leave a comment

Filed under --SPALDING COUNTY GA--, Griffin GA

Akins Feed & Seed, Griffin

Akins Feed & Seed was established by L. A. Akins in nearby Barnesville in 1940. Three of his sons joined the business in 1946, opening additional branches, including Griffin and Forsyth. The Griffin branch has moved to a newer facility and they’re still serving farmers and gardeners throughout Spalding County.

Griffin Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --SPALDING COUNTY GA--, Griffin GA

Starr’s Mill, 1907, Fayette County

A grist mill was first established here in 1825  by Hananiah Gilcoat. Whitewater Creek was less than a mile from the Creek Nation and the area was a frontier at the time. The mill changed hands numerous times over the first few decades of its existence until it was purchased by Hilliard Starr in 1866.  In the 13 years that Starr operated the mill, he made a lasting impression on the surrounding community, which would come to bear his name.

The present mill, the third to be sited on the mill foundation at Whitewater Creek, was built by William T. Glower to replace its predecessor which was destroyed by a fire. By this time, the mill was also powering a sawmill and a dynamo which powered nearby Senoia. The mill was operational until 1959.

 

 

1 Comment

Filed under --FAYETTE COUNTY GA--, Starr's Mill GA

Historic Storefronts, Senoia

Many of the storefronts in downtown Senoia are reconstructions of earlier structures but some of the older commercial architecture, as seen above, survives.

Senoia Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --COWETA COUNTY GA--, Senoia GA