Tag Archives: North Georgia Churches
When Daniel Marshall established the oldest continuing* Baptist congregation in Georgia in 1772, it was a violation of the established laws of St. Paul’s Parish, contrary to the tenets of the Church of England, and he was soon arrested. Upon his release he continued the mission of the church and built the first meeting house at the site of present-day Appling. A new church known as Marshall’s Meeting House was built in 1789 near the banks of Kiokee Creek. By 1806 Marshall’s Meeting House was in bad disrepair and the congregation raised nearly $4000 for the construction of the present church, known as Kiokee Baptist Church, which was completed in 1808. A Mr. Danielly was the brick mason and brothers John and Hezekiah Bond did the carpentry. The congregation only used this church until 1827, when they again built a new church in Appling proper, likely to accommodate a growing membership. It served until it was destroyed by a tornado in 1875 with the congregation meeting in the courthouse until another church was built. A modern facility in Appling serves the church today, while the historic church is used for special events.
Daniel Marshall was a native of Connecticut and established Baptist churches in Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina and served as a missionary to the Native Americans. The Marshall family preached the gospel at Kiokee for sixty years. After Daniel’s service (1772-84), his son Abraham (1784-1819) succeeded him, followed by his grandson Jabez (1819-1832).
*-The first Baptist church established in Georgia was the Tuckaseeking Baptist Church in Effingham County. They were a Seventh Day Baptist congregation and were active from 1759 until about 1763, when persecution forced them out of Georgia. Never a common sect in Georgia, the Seventh Day Baptists claim just one congregation and one mission in the state today.
National Register of Historic Places
The early history of the Lincolnton Methodist congregation has been lost but it is known that they were meeting by the 1820s, along with Baptists and Presbyterians, in a frame building known as Union Church. Methodists met at Union until the present church was constructed in 1915.
Lincolnton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
Hartwell Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was established in 1854, the same year the town was founded. The congregation first met in the temporary courthouse, then in the first brick courthouse, until local contractor John R. Kay built their first permanent home in 1859. It was the only church in Hartwell until after the Civil War and was shared with the Baptists and Presbyterians, as well. I presume the congregation outgrew the old frame church, as the present structure, built utilizing a design of Atlanta architect Willis F. Denny, was erected in 1897. It remains in use as Hartwell First United Methodist Church.
National Register of Historic Places
In 1826, just three years after the establishment of Macon, Thomas Gardner and sixteen other Methodists established the first congregation in the frontier town. Their first building was constructed in 1828 and in 1831, the Georgia Conference was established here. Georgia was a part of the South Carolina Conference prior to this time. This has earned the congregation the superlative “Mother Church of Georgia Methodism”. The Macon Episcopal Church changed its name to Mulberry Street Methodist Episcopal in 1847 and a new church was built in 1848. By 1882, an ever-expanding membership required more space and the 1848 structure was expanded and completely remodeled by noted architect Alexander Blair with an asymmetrical Victorian Gothic facade. The present English Gothic appearance of Mulberry Street United Methodist Church dates to a 2oth century remodel.
Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
Organized in 1874 as the Chickamauga Methodist Church, this congregation, like many, met in a brush arbor for a time before erecting a combination church/lodge building, which served them until the present church (right in photo) was constructed between 1913-1915, during the pastorate of C. A. Hall. W. H. Sears, a prominent Chattanooga architect was responsible for the design. The Sunday School building (left in photo) was constructed in 1929. I’m not sure when the church name was changed to honor Mrs. Lee.
Chickamauga Historic District, National Register of Historic Places