Tag Archives: North Georgia Boarding Houses & Hotels

Martin House, Circa 1876, Sautee-Nacoochee

This was built by the original owner of Nora Mill, John Martin, and was later owned by the Hardman and Ivie families. It once served as a boarding house/hotel and is now home to an antique mall.

Nacoochee Valley Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under --WHITE COUNTY GA--, Helen GA, Sautee-Nacoochee GA

Ayers-Little Boarding House, Circa 1840 & 1885, Carnesville

The first part of this house was built circa 1840 as a residence and tavern and in 1860 was purchased by Jeremiah Ayers. He joined the original part of the house and  an adjacent post office with a breezeway. Ayers was a merchant and tanner and upon his death in 1885 his widow Louisa and their daughter Lizzie began taking in boarders to help support themselves. They lived in the basement and rented the upper rooms. Lizzie married Robert Little in 1901. They raised their children here and continued to take in boarders. Around 1930 they renovated and slightly expanded the boarding house and opened a coffee shop in the dining room. After Mr. Little’s death in 1943, Lizzie continued operating the business. In 1949, she became editor of the Carnesville Herald. She died in 1963.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Carnesville GA

The Bowers House, 1921, Canon

In its secluded setting, the Bowers House is difficult to capture, but that’s the point. It’s been put into service as a literary retreat, an effort by its owner, Ellen Bowers Davenport, to keep the house in the family while providing writers a quiet creative space. It was built as the Canon Hotel during what could be called the town’s boom time, when the railroad kept the mills running and cotton was king. Traders and salesmen were regulars but the property failed in the Great Depression in a region already ravaged by the deleterious effects of the boll weevil. Ms. Davenport’s grandparents purchased and converted it into a private home thereafter.

Canon Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Canon GA

Wright Hotel, 1909, Chatsworth

The Wright Hotel was one of the first in Chatsworth. It was owned by Thomas and Laura Wright, who also lived on the property. After Mrs. Wright’s death in 1948, the hotel was leased to Lester Quarles and later the Keeter family. Its name was changed to the Chatsworth Hotel during this time. One of the Wright’s daughters, Kate Raine, returned to Chatsworth in 1969 and continued in the business  begun by her parents many years earlier. The Whitfield-Murray Historical Society inherited the property upon Mrs. Raine’s death in 1986.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MURRAY COUNTY GA--, Chatsworth GA

Eagle Tavern, Circa 1801, Watkinsville

When the Eagle Tavern was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970, it was thought that it was constructed sometime around 1820, but subsequent research has set the date around 1801, possibly earlier. The location of present-day Watkinsville was still a part of the Cherokee and Creek territories when the tavern was built and the seat of the original Clarke County before Athens existed. It’s one of just a few stagecoach, pre-railroad era public structures surviving in Georgia. In 1836 Richard C. Richardson bought the tavern and made numerous additions over the years. In 1934, the tavern was saved from destruction by Lanier Richardson Billups, who deeded it to the state of Georgia in 1956. Under the direction of architect G. Thomas Little, Richardson’s additions were removed, revealing the Plantation Plain original section we see today. It is now home to the Eagle Tavern Museum.

Leave a comment

Filed under --OCONEE COUNTY GA--, Watkinsville GA

Grand Hotel, 1890s, Hogansville

The hotel is still in use as a bed and breakfast.

3 Comments

Filed under --TROUP COUNTY GA--, Hogansville GA

Hall House Hotel, 1881, Dahlonega

hall-house-hotel-dahlonega-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-north-georgia-usa-2017

On their website, the Hall House Hotel writes: The Hall House dates back to 1881 and is the second oldest building on Dahlonega’s historic square. Frank Hall originally built the Hall House as both his home and a boarding house. They go on to note that the structure has had numerous uses over the years including apartment house, campus housing and a single-family home. It’s presently home to a restaurant and two art galleries, as well as the hotel. It’s at the center of Dahlonega’s inviting downtown and the only hotel located on the square.

To me, this is one of the nicest examples of  Second Empire architecture in Georgia. The style is relatively uncommon in Georgia, though there are three well-loved Second Empire courthouses (Hancock, Newton, and Walton) and three with Second Empire clock towers (Fayette, Gwinnett, and Washington) in the state.

Dahlonega Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --LUMPKIN COUNTY GA--, Dahlonega GA