Tag Archives: National Register of Historic Places

Old Sautee Store, Circa 1872

One of the most popular attractions in the Helen area, the Old Sautee Store has been in business since the 1870s. A well curated collection of early general store memorabilia gets the attention of visitors upon entering.

A market next door serves baked goods and hand-crafted sandwiches.

 

Sautee Valley Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under --WHITE COUNTY GA--, Sautee-Nacoochee GA

Sautee-Nacoochee School, 1928

Built to replace the  historic Nacoochee Institute, which was lost to fire in 1926, the Sautee-Nacoochee School and associated structures are known today as the Sautee-Nacooche Cultural Center. The school was abandoned in 1970 and its restoration and creative use should serve as a model for other communities. The 8-acre campus is also home to the Folk Pottery Museum of Northeast Georgia.

Sautee Valley Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WHITE COUNTY GA--, Sautee-Nacoochee GA

Sautee-Nacoochee School Gymnasium, 1930s

This recently restored gymnasium was built in the late 1930s for use by the school and the community.

Sautee Valley Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --WHITE COUNTY GA--, Sautee-Nacoochee GA

Hay & Stock Barn, Sautee-Nacoochee

Sautee Valley Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WHITE COUNTY GA--, Sautee-Nacoochee GA

Nacoochee Presbyterian Church, 1927, White County

Captain James H. Nichols came from Milledgeville to the Nacoochee Valley in 1870 and soon thereafter established Nacoochee Presbyterian Church (present-day Crescent Hill Baptist Church). Freedmen were welcomed by the earliest members. In 1903 the congregation began holding services in the Nacoochee Institute, where they remained until it was lost to fire in 1926. After meeting in an open-sided shed and a dairy barn, they completed the present church building in 1927. The belfry was added in 1989.

Sautee Valley Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WHITE COUNTY GA--, Sautee-Nacoochee GA

Mauldin House, Circa 1880, Clarkesville

This Folk Victorian house was built by A. M. Mauldin. It stayed in the family for over a century and after Mr. Mauldin’s death, his daughter-in-law operated a millinery shop on the property. It now serves as Clarkesville’s Visitors Center.

National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --HABERSHAM COUNTY GA--, Clarkesville GA

The Charm House, 1907, Clarkesville

W. R. Asbury built this home and named it Oak Heights. Later it served as the Clarkesville hospital and was a boarding house known as the Charm House, hence its present moniker. It has also been home to a bed and breakfast and a restaurant. It’s a grand house and sits back from Washington Street on a beautifully manicured lot.

Washington-Jefferson Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

1 Comment

Filed under --HABERSHAM COUNTY GA--, Clarkesville GA