Tag Archives: –MURRAY COUNTY GA–

Cohutta Bank Building, 1914, Chatsworth

Located on the corner of East Market Street and North 2nd Avenue across from the Wright Hotel, the old Cohutta Bank Building is one of the nicest intact commercial structures in downtown Chatsworth. It was most recently home to the Murray County Arts Guild. It is presently available for sale or lease.

Chatsworth Downtown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --MURRAY COUNTY GA--, Chatsworth GA

Wright Hotel, 1909, Chatsworth

The Wright Hotel was one of the first in Chatsworth. It was owned by Thomas and Laura Wright, who also lived on the property. After Mrs. Wright’s death in 1948, the hotel was leased to Lester Quarles and later the Keeter family. Its name was changed to the Chatsworth Hotel during this time. One of the Wright’s daughters, Kate Raine, returned to Chatsworth in 1969 and continued in the business  begun by her parents many years earlier. The Whitfield-Murray Historical Society inherited the property upon Mrs. Raine’s death in 1986.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MURRAY COUNTY GA--, Chatsworth GA

Dennis Mill, Circa 1869, Murray County

The Dennis community which grew up around this historic gristmill was one of the earliest settlements in this section of Northwest Georgia. It was named for Dennis Johnson, who was an early mill operator and postmaster. One of the grindstones indicates that it may have been originally known as Cohutta Mills but this is unclear. Electrified in the 1940s, the mill operated on a limited basis until the 1950s. The original structure survives and is the centerpiece of a property that today includes two wonderful rental cabins on the banks of Rock Creek, known as Dennis Mill Cabins and Events.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --MURRAY COUNTY GA--, Dennis GA