Tag Archives: –MONROE COUNTY GA–
Box Ankle was never much more than a crossroads community and the only remnant of that time, the old Mayfield’s Grocery store, is highly endangered. The grocery was a combination store and residence and has been listed for sale for several years. As to the origin of the name of the community, one source (possibly apocryphal) notes that years ago a cockfight was taking place nearby and two men at the event engaged in a fight themselves. One of the men apparently got pushed or fell over a wooden box and broke his ankle.
First Baptist Church of Forsyth was established in 1838 as Harmony Baptist Church. Their first home was constructed on this property in 1840. The congregation named was changed to First Baptist Church around 1840, then to First Baptist Church of Forsyth between 1913-1917. The old church building was retired in 1921 and the congregation moved into this structure in 1923. In the interim, services were held in the Bank Stephens Institute and baptisms performed in the swimming pool at Bessie Tift College.