Tag Archives: –McDUFFIE COUNTY GA–

Old Post Office, Boneville

This is the only publicly visible commercial structure remaining in Boneville and appears to date to the early 20th century. Jeremy Ansley notes that it was the post office. The framework of the historic Boneville/Camelia Mill (1880) survives, but is not accessible. The circa 1840 Clyde Hunt House-Dixie Inn, which was located just down the road, was lost to fire in 2013.

Boneville was a popular recreation spot from the late 19th century until the 1920s, when the Georgia Railroad closed the depot.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --McDUFFIE COUNTY GA--, Boneville GA

Folk Victorian House, 1880, Boneville

Leave a comment

Filed under --McDUFFIE COUNTY GA--, Boneville GA

Central Hallway Cottage, Circa 1900, Boneville

Leave a comment

Filed under --McDUFFIE COUNTY GA--, Boneville GA

Boneville School, 1920, McDuffie County

 

1 Comment

Filed under --McDUFFIE COUNTY GA--, Boneville GA

Boneville United Methodist Church, 1902, McDuffie County

Leave a comment

Filed under --McDUFFIE COUNTY GA--, Boneville GA

Central Hallway Farmhouse, McDuffie County

Houses of this style were once dominant throughout rural Georgia, especially in the countryside. Though still common enough to be overlooked, they’re increasingly endangered.

Leave a comment

Filed under --McDUFFIE COUNTY GA--

Bowdre-Rees-Knox House, 1806, McDuffie County

Bowdre Rees Knox House Belle Meade Hunt McDuffie County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2016

Known locally as the Half Way House for its central location on the Belle Meade Hunt Club’s fox run, this raised cottage was built for Thomas & Epatha Rees Bowdre. Slight additions and modifications over the years have been necessary for the structure’s use as a clubhouse, but its historic integrity has been generally maintained. A deck, visible on the right side of the house, is perhaps the most obvious of these changes.

Bowdre Rees Knox House McDuffie County GA Belle Meade Hunt Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2016

Bowdre emigrated from Virginia to Georgia and fathered ten children. A successful farmer, he owned 1540 acres and 44 slaves by 1827. In 1835, Bowdre sold the property to his wife’s cousin, Vincent Rees. Bowdre died in 1846. Rees lived in the house until his death in 1885. The property was sold to T. A. Scott, who subsequently sold it to Peter S. Knox in 1907. It has remained in and been well cared for by the Knox family ever since. It’s one of the best remaining examples, in its original setting, of a raised cottage in Georgia.

Bowdre Rees Knox House McDuffie County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2016

National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --McDUFFIE COUNTY GA--