Tag Archives: Manchester GA

James Render House, Circa 1832, Greenville

greenville ga render family homestead photograph copyright brian brown vanishing north georgia usa 2016

This house, begun on a much smaller scale in the Plantation Plain (I-House) style, is the focal point of the Render Homestead National Register property. James Render (1777-1854) came to Meriwether County in 1832 and established a large cotton plantation from this house. He served as a justice of the Inferior Court of Meriwether County. He migrated from Wilkes County, where he had served several terms in the General Assembly. By 1850, he owned 1900 acres and owned 76 slaves. One reason for his success was his diversification. Besides cotton he raised potatoes, sweet potatoes, Indian corn, wheat, rye and oats. He had eleven children and among his descendants were Governor James M. Terrell of Georgia and Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice James Render Dowdell.  Render’s son, Joshua (1818-1867) inherited the house and continued the successful farming operations of his father. Forty-two of the plantation’s freedmen remained as contract laborers after the Civil War. Upon the death of Mrs. Joshua Render in 1902, James L. Render (1863-1932) became the owner of the property. It was during James L. Render’s ownership that the house was expanded to its present Neoclassical appearance, thought to have been the work of prominent Georgia architect T. F. Lockwood. There have been at least four owners since the death of Sarah McGehee Render in 1960. It is beautifully maintained to this day but not open to the public. More information about the property in historical context can be found here.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MERIWETHER COUNTY GA--, Greenville GA

President Theatre, 1935, Manchester

historic president theatre manchester ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Originally part of the Martin group, the President Theatre was designed by Atlanta architects McKendree Tucker and Albert Howell. It was named the President, of course, for FDR’s association with the area. After many years of serving Manchester, it closed in the 1980s. It’s being completely restored and is back in business.

4 Comments

Filed under --MERIWETHER COUNTY GA--, Manchester GA

CSX Tracks from Fifth Avenue Bridge, Manchester

manchester ga railroad tracks mountain photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Two things synonymous with Manchester are hills and railroading. The bridge on Fifth Avenue is a good vantage point for both.

Leave a comment

Filed under --MERIWETHER COUNTY GA--, Manchester GA