This vernacular Craftsman cottage was originally built circa 1914. It’s located adjacent to the Vandiver property. W. R. Woodruff writes: This is Reverend W. M. Dansby’s home. He rebuilt it in the 30’s or 40’s by himself after a boarder accidentally set it on fire.
Tag Archives: Lavonia GA
Samuel Ernest Vandiver, Jr., (1918-2005) who was born in nearby Canon, served as Georgia’s 73rd governor from 1959-1963. During his administration, the archaic county unit system that gave local political bosses vast power, was ended. This was seen as a step forward for Georgia but angered many of its beneficiaries. Honesty and fiscal responsibility were hallmarks of Governor Vandiver’s term. After leaving the governor’s office, he practiced law, first in Atlanta and then back in Lavonia. His wife, Betty, was a niece of U. S. Senator Richard B. Russell.
The Lavonia Methodist-Episcopal Church was organized between 1878-1880. It first met in the Joe Vickery Store until building its first permanent home a few years later. A second church was built in 1907 and replaced by the present structure in 1948. Roy E. Hitchcock, who collaborated on numerous facilities at the University of Georgia, was the architect.