Tag Archives: Greensboro GA

Holcomb’s Bar-B-Q, Greensboro

Holcomb's Bar B Q Barbecue Restaurant Greensboro GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Holcomb’s opened their first location in nearby White Plains in 1971. Still open, the original is as famous for its sawdust dining room floor as it is for its Brunswick stew. People drive from miles around to buy the stuff by the gallon! This location, opened in 1981,  is a bit better known, just because Greensboro is a bigger town than White Plains, and it seems appropriate that it’s located in an old gas station. George Dyar writes: Amoco Oil built this station in the early 1960s. John Bledsoe was the manager. 2 bay filing station and changed/repaired many logging and farm tires. Used them many times.

2 Comments

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Greensboro GA

Davis-Evans House, 1854, Greensboro

Greensboro GA Davis Evans House the Parsonage Antebellum Landmark Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Greensboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

This imposing home, one of the oldest in Greensboro, served for many years as the Methodist parsonage and is now the church office.

Leave a comment

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Greensboro GA

Greensboro United Methodist Church, 1911

Greensboro GA First United Methodist Church Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

From the First United Methodist Church of Greensboro website: The Methodist Church as an organization in Greene County dates back to 1797, six years after the death of John Wesley, when Bishop Francis Asbury appointed 28 year old James Jenkins Pastor of the Washington Circuit…

During the early years in Greensboro, Methodists conducted Worship services in the Presbyterian Church where Bishop Asbury preached in 1799. A log meeting house was built around 1799-1800 on Laurel Avenue. During 1825-1826, this log meeting house was replaced with a frame structure on the same site. The frame structure was later moved to a location on Broad Street just west of the current Broad Street Campus. In 1859, the frame structure was replaced with a brick building at a cost of approximately $8,000. Because of increasing train traffic interrupting Worship services, planning for a building at a new location was started in 1908. The present Broad Street Campus church was built in 1911 at a cost of approximately $23,000 and expanded/renovated in 1959, 1973 and 1994.

Buckhead Historic District, National Register of  Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Greensboro GA

Confederate Memorial, 1898, Greensboro

Greensboro GA Confederate Monument Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Located on the Greene County Courthouse lawn, this memorial was erected at a cost of $2000 by the women of Greene County at a time when Confederate memorial-building was at its zenith. The “women” were members of the Confederate Memorial Association and the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The dedication in August 1898 was nearly left out of the local paper due to news of the Spanish-American War.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Greensboro GA

Greensboro Herald-Journal Window Signs

Greensboro Herald Journal Window Sign Published Weekly But Read Daily Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Greensboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Greensboro Herald Journal Newspaper Window Sign We Print Anything Except Money Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Leave a comment

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Greensboro GA

Main Street Storefronts, Greensboro

Greensboro GA Historic Downtown Storefronts Herald Journal Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Greensboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Greensboro GA Downtown Historic District Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Leave a comment

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Greensboro GA

Hunter’s Drug Store, Greensboro

Greensboro GA Hunters Drug Store Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Greensboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Greensboro GA

Copelan Building, 1889,Greensboro

Greensboro GA Towne House Corner Building Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Greensboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

This was the Towne House Restaurant for many years.

Leave a comment

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Greensboro GA

McCommons Big Store, 1858, Greensboro

Greensboro GA McCommons Big Store Antebellum Commercial Architecture Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Greensboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Built by Charles Alfred Davis, Sr., in the late 1850s and opened in 1860, this structure featured a blacksmith shop and stables in its early days. Later,  J. H. McCommons purchased it and it became known as “The Big Store”. For a fascinating history, please visit: http://www.mccommonsfuneralhome.com/about/about.php

Leave a comment

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Greensboro GA

Greensboro Post Office, 1936

Greensboro GA US Post Office New Deal WPA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

This New Deal Post Office is still in use and features murals by artist Carson Davenport (1908-1972).  Davenport served as director of the WPA Art School & Gallery in Big Stone Gap, Virginia and was Chairman of the Art Department at Averett Collge from 1943-1969.

Greensboro GA New Deal US Post Office Mural Hunter in Coonskin Cap Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Above: “The Burning of Greensborough” (Detail)

Greensboro GA New Deal US Post Office Mural Picking Cotton Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Greensboro GA New Deal US Post Office Mural African American Black Children Eating Watermelons Sunflowers Photograph Copyright Brian Bown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Both Images Above: “Cotton Picking in Georgia” (Detail)

Greensboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --GREENE COUNTY GA--, Greensboro GA