Tag Archives: Georgia Stone Structures

Georgia Railroad Depot, 1848, Crawforfd

Crawford GA Oglethorpe County Georgia Railway Depot Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

From the December 2010 issue of Preservation Posts (Historic Preservation Division, DNR)

The depot was constructed with granite block, likely including a few granite cross ties that were used along the rail line before the advent of heavy steam engines required their replacement with more flexible wooden cross ties.  Depots constructed entirely from stone are extremely rare in Georgia.  Most depots are constructed from wood or brick with only a few built with the exterior walls entirely constructed from granite block.  The depot, built to serve the Athens branch of the Georgia Railroad, also served the towns of Arnoldsville, Dunlop, Maxeys, Union Point, and Woodville.  The depot also served as a shipment and supply facility for the Confederate Army during the Civil War…”

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --OGLETHORPE COUNTY GA--, Crawford GA

Old Hancock County Jail, 1905, Sparta

Old Hancock County Jail Sparta GA Landmark Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

This sturdy old granite structure was recently restored.

Sparta Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --HANCOCK COUNTY GA--, Sparta GA