Tag Archives: Georgia Restorations

Western and Atlantic Railroad Depot, 1854, Cartersville

One of just a handful of surviving Western and Atlantic Railroad depots, the Cartersville depot now serves as the town’s Welcome Center. That it has survived at all is a bit of a miracle, considering it was in the direct path of Sherman’s forces as they headed into Atlanta. On 20 May 1864, Confederate forces occupied the depot in an effort to protect it, knocking out sections of the wall for use as gun ports. Due to other concerns, Sherman, let the depot stand, but there were light skirmishes between the Confederate and Union forces at the site. About six months later, when Sherman returned to Cartersville, a Union soldier cut the telegraph line from the depot, isolating Cartersville from the outside world, and the March to the Sea was underway.

Cartersville Downtown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Cartersville GA

Grand Theatre, 1924, Cartersville

Cartersville Downtown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Cartersville GA

Militia District #851 Courthouse, 1890s, Euharlee

Euharlee was a part of Militia District #851, and this historic courthouse was the de facto center of justice in the rural community. It was nicely restored after years of neglect.

1 Comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Euharlee GA

Calaboose, 1890s, Euharlee

The calaboose is located adjacent to the district courthouse.

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Euharlee GA

Lowry Farm Dependency, Euharlee

Though identified here as a general store for the purposes of the historical park adjacent to the Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge, this structure was one of the original dependencies of the Lowry Farm, perhaps a smokehouse or storage barn. It dates to the latter half of the 19th century. The window is not original to the structure.

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Euharlee GA

Avery Vann Cabin, 1810, Cave Spring

This hand-hewn cabin was built by Avery Vann, Jr., (1770-1845). Vann, a Scottish trader who married a Cherokee woman, was the brother of Cherokee Chief James Vann and his prominence in the area led to its designation as Vann’s Valley.

For many years, the structure was hidden within the walls of the old Webster-Green Hotel in downtown Cave Spring. When the hotel faced eminent demolition in 2009, the Cave Spring Historical Society led the effort to save the cabin and their work revealed this important aspect of Georgia history. After extensive research and careful restoration, the cabin was opened to the public in 2016. It is believed to be the second oldest extant Native American two-story residential structure.

Trail of Tears National Historic Trail

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --FLOYD COUNTY GA--, Cave Spring GA

Neoclassical Revival House, Cave Spring

Recent real estate listings state that this house is “pre-Civil War”.  The Neoclassical remodeling dates around 1900.

Cave Spring Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --FLOYD COUNTY GA--, Cave Spring GA

R. E. Ringer General Merchandise, 1927, Carroll County

This tin-sided false front store should get your attention if you’re traveling on US Highway 27, just south of Carrollton. A sign on the building notes that the store operated from 1927-1957. Like the Johnson Sweet Potato barn, another roadside icon located nearby, the Ringer Store’s Coca-Cola signs and murals have been repainted.

Leave a comment

Filed under --CARROLL COUNTY GA--

Bank of West Point, 1907

Presently being renovated, the old Bank of West Point building is typical of small town banks in the first decade of the 20th century.

West Point Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --TROUP COUNTY GA--, West Point GA

Sparta Female Model School Dormitory, Circa 1815 & 1832

The Sparta Female Academy was established in 1832 by Sereno Taylor of Vermont. [Various sources also refer to it as the Taylor Female Academy, Sparta Female College, and Sparta Female Seminary]. It was supported by the Baptists. This and another renovated dormitory are all that survive of the historic boarding school. A preliminary evaluation by architect Brandy Morrison suggests that the rear section of this house is the earliest, circa 1815, with the front being added circa 1831.

After many years of neglect, the structure is finally getting some much-needed attention. Amber Rhea and Stacia Smith initiated a process of preservation in early 2020. The Covid-19 pandemic has halted progress but Rhea and Smith are determined to see it through, whatever that entails.

A broadside dating to 8 December 1838 heralds the school’s reorganization and an enlargement of the course of study. The seven disciplines: Language; Mathematics; Cosmics; History; Geotics; Government; and Philosophy. Sereno Taylor was superintendent and a teacher in the Literary and Musical Departments. Five assistants were on staff, as well, with the expected arrival, in early 1839, of Madame Salmon Hantute of Paris, for the teaching of the French Language, Piano Forte, and Singing.

Annual tuition varied, dependent upon the level of instruction. It ranged from $25 for primary instruction to $125 for collegiate instruction. Musical instrument training was also on order, beginning with the piano forte, advancing to guitar, harp, and finally, organ.

Sparta Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --HANCOCK COUNTY GA--, Sparta GA