Tag Archives: Georgia Depots & Railroadiana

Gainesville, Jefferson, & Southern Railroad Depot, Circa 1900, Talmo

The Gainesville, Jefferson & Southern Railroad line reached Talmo circa 1883 and was integral for the shipment of the highly prized short-staple cotton being grown in the area. It was an important catalyst for the growth of the community and is well-preserved today.

Talmo Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JACKSON COUNTY GA--, Talmo GA

Seaboard Air Line Railway Depot, 1892, Colbert

Like many towns across Georgia, Colbert saved and restored its historic depot, which now serves as city hall. [One source dates the depot to 1892 and another, to 1907. I am unsure which is correct]. First incorporated as the Town of Five Forks in 1899, community’s name was changed to Colbert in 1909, after early settler James Fletcher Colbert.
This Seaboard Coast Line/Louisville & Nashville caboose was acquired by the city circa 1976 and is located adjacent to the depot.

Colbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MADISON COUNTY GA--, Colbert GA

Western and Atlantic Railroad Depot, 1854, Cartersville

One of just a handful of surviving Western and Atlantic Railroad depots, the Cartersville depot now serves as the town’s Welcome Center. That it has survived at all is a bit of a miracle, considering it was in the direct path of Sherman’s forces as they headed into Atlanta. On 20 May 1864, Confederate forces occupied the depot in an effort to protect it, knocking out sections of the wall for use as gun ports. Due to other concerns, Sherman, let the depot stand, but there were light skirmishes between the Confederate and Union forces at the site. About six months later, when Sherman returned to Cartersville, a Union soldier cut the telegraph line from the depot, isolating Cartersville from the outside world, and the March to the Sea was underway.

Cartersville Downtown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARTOW COUNTY GA--, Cartersville GA

Seaboard Air Line Railroad Depot, 1912, Statham

Statham began as a crossroads with a country store and post office, owned by M. J. C. Statham, but experienced growth, and incorporation, when the railroad came to town in 1892. The first depot was built around 1900 and was replaced with this structure in 1912. Though use of the depot was discontinued decades ago, it has been home to various businesses over the years.

Statham Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARROW COUNTY GA--, Statham GA

Seaboard Air Line Depot, 1912, Winder

In the 1890s John H. Winder, an engineer and manager with the Seaboard Air Line Railroad, was instrumental in bringing the line through the hamlet of Jug Tavern. The residents were so grateful they renamed the settlement Winder in his honor. Soon, the area experienced rapid growth and the new town became an important stop between Athens and Atlanta. This depot was erected in 1912, to reflect the newfound prosperity of the city. It remains a well-loved landmark today.

National Register of  Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --BARROW COUNTY GA--, Winder GA

Augusta, Gibson & Sandersville Railroad Depot, Circa 1886, Mitchell

This beautifully restored Victorian passenger and freight depot is the centerpiece of a nice public park and also houses a museum of local history. A similar depot survives down the line at Matthews. The Augusta, Gibson & Sandersville was the impetus for the settlement of Mitchell and the town grew rapidly as a result of the depot’s construction.

1 Comment

Filed under --GLASCOCK COUNTY GA--, Mitchell GA

Nacoochee Depot, Circa 1913, White County

Though it has been moved and reduced in size, this depot is an important survivor of the Gainesville & Northwestern Railroad.

Nacoochee Valley Historic District,  National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WHITE COUNTY GA--, Helen GA, Sautee-Nacoochee GA

Tallulah Falls Railway Depot, Circa 1903, Demorest

This historic depot has been used as a business for many years. I hope the City of Demorest or Piedmont College will consider restoring it if that is an option. It was built by master local carpenter George H. Cason, who also built the Methodist Episcopal Church South (Demorest Women’s Club).

Leave a comment

Filed under --HABERSHAM COUNTY GA--, Demorest GA

Southern Railway Depot, 1912, Lavonia

A restoration in the 1970s essentially “modernized” the interior of the Lavnoia Depot, dropping ceilings and obscuring important structural details. An historically accurate second restoration, completed in 2012, returned the depot to its rightful place as the anchor of the historic downtown. It now houses a welcome center and offices.

Lavonia Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Lavonia GA

Southern Railway Depot, 1904, Royston

The Elberton Air-Line Railroad first built a line through Royston in the late 1870s. After a series of mergers the line became property of the Southern Railway, who built this depot in 1904. The city now owns and rents the depot for public use.

Royston Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Royston GA