Tag Archives: George F. Barber Houses

W. C. Smith House, Circa 1890, Elberton

Anna King O’Neal writes: W. C. Smith was a prominent merchant, arriving in Elberton in 1880. He was also a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He died in 1909. 

Elberton Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA

Dr. James L. Lovvorn House, Circa 1896, Bowdon

Bowdon GA Dr Lovvorn House National Register of Historic Places Victorian Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Dr. James L. Lovvorn (1862-1926) was the son of Edward & Nancy Lovvorn of Randolph County, Alabama. An 1886 graduate of the University of Georgia Medical Department, he was a well-known physician in Carroll County for many years. He married Carrie M. Johnson (1867-1959) in 1888. Georg F. Barber, one of the most prominent American residential architects of the Victorian era, designed the home with gas lights and fireplaces in every room. Barber was a prolific architect and about 30 of his houses remain in Georgia. Dr. Lovvorn’s office was on the first floor.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --CARROLL COUNTY GA--, Bowdon GA