Tag Archives: Clinton GA

Pine Ridge School, 1889, Clinton

Though incongruous with the Old Clinton Historic District, this classic country schoolhouse is a preservation success story and somehow “fits in” to this delightful community. It was donated to the Old Clinton Historical Society by the Morton family in the 1980s and was finally moved from the nearby Pine Ridge community and restored in 2000.

Leave a comment

Filed under --JONES COUNTY GA--, Clinton GA, Pine Ridge GA

Rosser-Barron House, Circa 1818, Clinton

Built by Daniel Rosser, this house was owned by Wiley Pope at the beginning of the Civil War. It is also known as the W. W. Barron House, for longtime owner William Wiley Barron.

Old Clinton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JONES COUNTY GA--, Clinton GA

Lockett-Hamilton House, 1830, Clinton

This house was built by James Lockett. After the Civil War, it was home to James H. Blount, a lawyer who served in the United States House of Representatives from 1872-1892.

Old Clinton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JONES COUNTY GA--, Clinton GA

Parrish-Billue House, 1810, Clinton

This home was built for one of Jones County’s earliest settlers, Captain John Parrish, who also served as an early county commissioner. During the the March to the Sea, the residence was briefly occupied by Union General Kirkpatrick as a temporary headquarters. The smaller structure attached to the right side of the house was built in 1821 and in 1830 served as the law office of Alfred Iverson, Sr., and Samuel Lowther. Iverson went on to serve in the Georgia legislature, the House of Representatives, and the United States Senate. His son, Alfred Iverson, Jr., served as a Brigadier General in the Confederate Army.

Old Clinton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JONES COUNTY GA--, Clinton GA

Clower-Gaultney House, 1816-1819, Clinton

This imposing house was built by early Clinton merchant Peter Clower. It originally featured round columns but they, along with many interior features, were removed by a later owner to another house.

Old Clinton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JONES COUNTY GA--, Clinton GA

Barron-Blair House, 1820, Clinton

This magnificent house was completed circa 1820 and various histories suggest construction began as early as 1810. It features first- and second-floor colonnades not only on the front of the house but on the rear ell, as well.

It was built for an early Jones County commissioner, Captain John Mitchell, and expanded in the 1820s by attorney James Smith. Smith was a charter trustee of the Clinton Academy. Dr. Horatio Bowen, a prominent physician, planter, and one of the largest wine producers in the state, purchased the home in 1845. Judge Barron was a later owner.

Old Clinton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --JONES COUNTY GA--, Clinton GA

General Store, 1900s, Clinton

This typical general store dates to the early 1900s and served the Clinton community for many years. It was part of the Reuben Stewart home place where one of the town’s early taverns originally stood. When the building fell into disrepair, it was restored by Civil War reenactors and rechristened Miss Annie’s Store on the occasion of her 80th birthday. Miss Annie was actually Mrs. Earl Hamilton and was a leader in the movement to preserve and restore Old Clinton’s historic treasures.

Leave a comment

Filed under --JONES COUNTY GA--, Clinton GA

McCarthy-Pope House, 1809-1810, Clinton

This is the oldest surviving house in Clinton. It is believed to have been built by one of Jones County’s earliest settlers, Roger McCarthy. Following the Civil War, twin sisters “Miss Zet” and “Miss Pope” owned the house, which also served as the Clinton Post Office until 1915. After being used as a tenant house in subsequent years, it fell into a state of near ruin and was described as “tumbled down” by the mid-1950s. It was restored by the Old Clinton Historical Society in the late 1970s-eary 1980s.

Old Clinton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JONES COUNTY GA--, Clinton GA

Hutchings-Carr House, 1810-1811, Clinton

The Hutchings-Carr House was among the early substantial homes built by the settlers of Clinton, designated the Jones County seat in 1808, and incorporated in 1809. The Hutchings family were among the most prolific settlers of the pioneer community and builder Roger Hutchings served as tax collector, sheriff, and state representative for Jones County. His son Charles was a leading merchant in Clinton and later owned the house. The Federal-influenced Plantation Plain structure retains many original interior features, including carved sunburst friezes on the mantels. The house was expanded in the mid-19th century and the windows widened and lengthened. The front porch was added at this time.

Old Clinton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

4 Comments

Filed under --JONES COUNTY GA--, Clinton GA

Clinton United Methodist Church, 1821, Jones County

Clinton United Methodist Church Old Clinton GA Jones County Landmark Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

A Methodist Society was organized at Clinton in 1810 and a permanent structure is thought to have been built around 1821. It remains in use today and is well cared for. A slave gallery, typical feature of many antebellum churches, was removed in 1897. It should also be noted that Clinton Methodist was among the first churches in the area to organize a foreign missionary society.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JONES COUNTY GA--, Clinton GA