Tag Archives: Churches of White County GA

Crescent Hill Baptist Church, 1871, Sautee-Nacoochee

This church was built by Captain James Nichols as Nacoochee Presbyterian, soon after he arrived in the valley and built West End. Freedmen were welcomed as early members. It served the Presbyterians until moving to Nacoochee Institute in Sautee in 1903. It is one of the most visually appealing churches in the area and remains an active congregation.

Nacoochee Valley Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --WHITE COUNTY GA--, Helen GA, Sautee-Nacoochee GA

Nacoochee Presbyterian Church, 1927, White County

Captain James H. Nichols came from Milledgeville to the Nacoochee Valley in 1870 and soon thereafter established Nacoochee Presbyterian Church (present-day Crescent Hill Baptist Church). Freedmen were welcomed by the earliest members. In 1903 the congregation began holding services in the Nacoochee Institute, where they remained until it was lost to fire in 1926. After meeting in an open-sided shed and a dairy barn, they completed the present church building in 1927. The belfry was added in 1989.

Sautee Valley Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --WHITE COUNTY GA--, Sautee-Nacoochee GA