This historic congregation was established in 1833.
Tag Archives: Churches of Jones County GA
Known at its organization as Round Oak Methodist, and now called Sunshine Methodist or Sunshine II, the church seen here was organized sometime after the burning of a more primitive log structure known as Sunshine Church, which was a Baptist congregation.
That church was the site of the Battle of Sunshine Church (30-31 July 1864), one of the few Confederate victories in the Atlanta campaign. Stoneman’s raiders, attempting to meet up with Sherman’s forces, encountered three brigades commanded by Clinton native General Alfred Iverson. A decisive Confederate victory forced Stoneman’s surrender. Four months later, Sherman’s troops burned the old church as they passed through the area en route to Savannah.
A Methodist Society was organized at Clinton in 1810 and a permanent structure is thought to have been built around 1821. It remains in use today and is well cared for. A slave gallery, typical feature of many antebellum churches, was removed in 1897. It should also be noted that Clinton Methodist was among the first churches in the area to organize a foreign missionary society.
National Register of Historic Places