Tag Archives: Churches of Hancock County GA

Zebulon United Methodist Church, 1880, Hancock County

Zebulon Methodist Church Hancock County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

This congregation dates to at least 1835, when a meeting house was first built by Methodists on this lot. By 1880 the church had grown to the point of needing a new building and the present structure was erected.

Zebulon Methodist Church Hancock County GA Iron Cemetery Gate Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Leave a comment

Filed under --HANCOCK COUNTY GA--

Second Beulah Baptist Church, Hancock County

Historic Second Beulah Baptist Church Hancock County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

This unique church is the center of the Beulah Community.

Leave a comment

Filed under --HANCOCK COUNTY GA--

Culverton United Methodist Church, 1911, Hancock County

Originally known as John  Turner Memorial Church, this congregation dates to 1881.

2 Comments

Filed under --HANCOCK COUNTY GA--, Culverton GA

Mt. Zion Presbyterian Church, 1814, Hancock County

Historic Mt Zion Presbyterian Church Hancock County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Celebrating its bicentennial this year, Mt. Zion is one of Georgia’s most beloved and most visited churches. Organized in 1813, the congregation raised $700 to complete this structure. Services were held here until 1903 when the membership had dwindled from 130 to less than 10. The trustees of Mt. Zion Methodist Church purchased the property that year and used the structure for services until 1958.

A Georgia Historical Commission Marker placed in 1966 gives insight into the early history of the church and its most famous member: Nathan S.S. Beman at Mt. Zion (Nov. 26, 1785 – Aug. 6, 1871) Nathan Sidney Smith Beman, Presbyterian minister, educator, editor, college president, after graduating from Middlebury College, Vermont, taught and preached in New England until 1812, when he came with his wife to Georgia to regain his health. “A man of intelligence and almost boundless energy,” Nathan Beman found unusual opportunities in Georgia where wealthy planters were banding together to establish centers of religious instruction and education for their children. In late 1812, Beman became teacher and pastor at Mt. Zion, an academy town founded by Hancock County planters in 1811. Some of the State’s leading families supported Mt. Zion Academy which became one of the most celebrated schools in Georgia. The outstanding men Beman attracted to teach contributed much to the state in educational and religious leadership. Offered the presidency of the University of Georgia, Beman accepted reluctantly and temporarily, resigning because of his wife’s illness and death in 1819. He continued to direct the Academy, to preach, and to edit The Missionary, a weekly gospel newspaper. In 1821 he married Mrs. Caroline Bird Yancey, mother of secessionist William Lowndes Yancey. In 1823, Nathan Beman and his wife moved to Troy, N.Y., where he continued his ministerial and clerical career.

Historic Mt Zion Presbyterian Church Hancock County GA Bicentennial Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Historic Mt Zion Presbyterian Church Hancock County GA Interior View Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Historic Mt Zion Presbyterian Church Hancock County GA Pews Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Historic Mt Zion Presbyterian Church Hancock County GA Interior Pulpit Pews View Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Today, it’s a haven for photographers and students of history and many leave messages and photographs on the pulpit when they visit, as seen below.

Historic Mt Zion Presbyterian Church Hancock County GA Ephemera left by Photographers and Visitors Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

7 Comments

Filed under --HANCOCK COUNTY GA--

Powelton Methodist Church, Hancock County

Powelton Methodist Church Hancock County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

I first photographed this historic church in early 2009. History regarding the congregation or structure is hard to come by, but Methodist archives indicate the present structure was built before 1863. This suggests that it was built before the Civil War, as little construction was going on at that time.

Powelton Methodist Church Hancock County GA Interior Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

There is a bit more history at http://hrcga.org/powelton-methodist-hancock-5/

Powelton Methodist Church Hancock County GA Rural Landmark Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

A scene in the 2009 movie Get Low (which starred Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek and Bill Murray) was filmed in the historic church cemetery.

1 Comment

Filed under --HANCOCK COUNTY GA--, Powelton GA

Powelton Baptist Church

Powelton Baptist Church Historic Hancock County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

This church was organized in the mid-1780s and the present structure has been expanded around a construction of 1822. The Georgia Historical Commission marker, placed in 1956, reads: The Powelton Baptist Church, first known as Powell’s Creek Church, was constituted July 1st, 1786, with 26 members, by the Rev. Silas Mercer, the Rev. John Harvey and the Rev. John Thomas. The Rev. Jesse Mercer became pastor of this church on February 4, 1797, and served in that capacity until late in 1825. During his ministry, 200 persons were baptized into the church. The General Committee of the Georgia Baptists was organized here in 1803; the Baptist State Convention was formed in this church in 1822, and its sessions were held here in 1823 and in 1832.Governor William Rabun was a distinguished member of Powelton Baptist Church, and served it as a Clerk and Chorister.

Powelton Baptist Church Historic Hancock County GA Rural Landmark Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Another important link to its history is found on a marble tablet placed on the grounds by the Georgia Baptist Convention in 1950: “In this church on this site the General Baptist Association of Georgia was organized June 27, 1822, by messengers from the Georgia and Ocmulgee Associations, and certain other Baptists, including Adiel Sherwood, whose motion in the Sarepta Association called for organization of the General Association. Jesse Mercer was elected president and Jabez P. Marshall was elected secretary. Adiel Sherwood preached the sermon, Luke 3:4. Name changed to The Baptist Convention of the State of Georgia in 1827.”

2 Comments

Filed under --HANCOCK COUNTY GA--, Powelton GA

Mt. Hope Methodist Church, Circa 1840, Hancock County

Mt Hope United Methodist Church Historic Landmark Hancock County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

This is located just north of Warthen. The grave houses of James & Mary Garland are an important feature of the small cemetery.

Mt Hope UMC Methodist Church Cemetery Historic Grave Houses of James and Mary Garland Hancock County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

As of 2016, the grave houses have been removed for some reason.

5 Comments

Filed under --HANCOCK COUNTY GA--