Organized by the Crawford and Wingfield families at the end of the Civil War, Fork (originally Forks) Chapel derives its name from its location between two rivers, the Apalachee and the Oconee. The first church was built soon after organization and was replaced by the present structure in 1915.
Tag Archives: Churches of Greene County GA
Organized in 1786, Bethany was the first church in Greene County (Washington County at the time). This is the third permanent church home near this location. In 1886, Dr. James Woodrow, an uncle of President Woodrow Wilson, was tried for heresy here in the first of the so-called “monkey trials” regarding the teaching of evolution. He was exonerated. The community which grew around the church was the setting for Tom Watson’s popular 1904 book, Bethany: A Story of the Old South. William Henry Sparks’ popular 1870 autobiography, The Memories of Fifty Years, begins around this church, as well.
Its historic cemetery seems almost magical in the presence of a majestic old oak, which has stood here for well over a century. (Seen to the left of the church, above). Below are examples of some of the oldest headstones, dating to the early 19th century.
Organized near Penfield and first known as Town Creek, Shiloh traces its roots to around 1795. The date when the congregation moved to this location, near Greensboro, is unclear. One of the earlier chapels was destroyed by a tornado in the 1850s. The present church likely dates to the last quarter of the 19th century.
Among the first members of the Church of the Redeemer were women who had fled the Civil War in Savannah and Charleston. In September 1863 the Right Reverend Stephen Elliott, first Bishop of Georgia, held the first communion with members in the home of Mrs. Philip Clayton. (Mr. Clayton had the distinction of serving as Assistant Secretary of the Treasury during the administration of President Buchanan, and he held the same position in the government of the Confederate States of America. After the war, he was considered a person of great integrity and served as United States Ambassador to Peru).
J. G. Barnwell of Rome was the architect and builder and on 14 June 1868 the church was consecrated by the Right Reverend John Beckwith, Bishop of Georgia. The first rector was Father Joshua Knowles. He served for nineteen years and, at his request, was buried with his wife by the side of the church in an area now known as “The Knowles.”
For a more comprehensive history: http://www.lakeoconeeepiscopal.org/about-redemmer/history/
National Register of Historic Places
From the First United Methodist Church of Greensboro website: The Methodist Church as an organization in Greene County dates back to 1797, six years after the death of John Wesley, when Bishop Francis Asbury appointed 28 year old James Jenkins Pastor of the Washington Circuit…
During the early years in Greensboro, Methodists conducted Worship services in the Presbyterian Church where Bishop Asbury preached in 1799. A log meeting house was built around 1799-1800 on Laurel Avenue. During 1825-1826, this log meeting house was replaced with a frame structure on the same site. The frame structure was later moved to a location on Broad Street just west of the current Broad Street Campus. In 1859, the frame structure was replaced with a brick building at a cost of approximately $8,000. Because of increasing train traffic interrupting Worship services, planning for a building at a new location was started in 1908. The present Broad Street Campus church was built in 1911 at a cost of approximately $23,000 and expanded/renovated in 1959, 1973 and 1994.
Buckhead Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
John Dolvin first organized Hastings Church in 1894, then dissolved it at the end of the century to form the Siloam Presbyterian Church. It’s known as Dolvin Memorial Chapel in his memory. In 1929 it was saved from fire by a Mrs. Rhodes, who lost her life as a result of burns she sustained during the conflagration.