Tag Archives: Churches of Elbert County GA

Bowman United Methodist Church, 1925, Elbert County

Bowman United Methodist Church was established by a small group who first met in a rural log schoolhouse in 1874. It is thought that the first formal home, a frame structure, was occupied by the late 1870s. By 1894, the congregation had grown to around 225. In 1924, members decided to raze the old church and construction began on the present structure. Mr. D. C. Griffin of Hartwell supervised the construction. It was completed in 1925. It is one of the nicest little churches to be found in a town of this size.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Bowman GA

Dewy Rose Baptist Church, 1921, Elbert County

Dewy Rose Baptist Church grew out of the membership of Deep Creek and Antioch Baptist churches in 1890. Reverend L. W. Stevens was the first pastor. The congregation met in the local school until a new church was constructed in October of 1890. During the pastorate of Reverend A. W. Bussey membership had grown to a point that a new structure was needed and the present church was completed and dedicated in 1921. It was constructed in the Craftsman style. which is rarely seen in churches. For a more detailed history, visit the church website.

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Dewy Rose GA

First Presbyterian Church, 1909, Elberton

Historic First Presbyterian Church Elberton GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

C. I. Stacy was pastor at the time of construction. W. M. Wilcox, W. L. Skelton, and E. P. Harris were the trustees. W. E. Wallis was the architect.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA

First United Methodist Church, 1889, Elberton

Historic First United Methodist Church Elberton GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

In History of the First Methodist Church of Elberton, Georgia, John T. Dennis notes that the first church built by this congregation was a wood-frame building, erected in 1848. The present structure was erected in 1888-89.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA

First Baptist Church, 1897, Elberton

Elberton GA Historic First Baptist Church Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

First Baptist Church was organized in 1860 and the cornerstone for this structure was laid in 1897. It was the third chapel used by the congregation and was replaced by a newer facility in 1965. This beautiful old church is still in use, serving as chapel and sanctuary for the Hispanic congregation.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA