Tag Archives: Churches of Carroll County GA

Whitesburg United Methodist Church, 1913, Carroll County

Whitesburg Methodist Church was organized in 1887, and at that time this lot was purchased from R. E. Morrow. The first trustees were W. F. Story, J. E. Merk, J. W. Gilbert, and J. M. Newton. A fire destroyed the original wooden church in June 1912 and this structure was completed in 1913. [From a recollection by Mrs. S. T. Camp in the archives of the North Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church].

Leave a comment

Filed under --CARROLL COUNTY GA--, Whitesburg GA

Whitesburg Baptist Church, 1876, Carroll County

Originating west of Whitesburg as early as the 1840s, the New Providence Baptist Church is known only through oral tradition. The records of the early church were lost in a house fire and the written record commences in 1871. On 13 March 1875, the congregation voted to change the name to Whitesburg Baptist Church. Apparently, the old New Providence Church building burned around this time and construction of the present structure was completed between 1875-1876. Other than replacement of the steeple after a tornado in the 1970s or 1980s, the church is largely original, with only slight modifications.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --CARROLL COUNTY GA--, Whitesburg GA

St. Paul Methodist Church, Carroll County

St. Paul was established in the 1860s. A sign on the property indicates 1869, but there are burials in the cemetery dating to 1864, which suggest a slightly earlier date. It’s near the Hulett community.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --CARROLL COUNTY GA--

Bowdon United Methodist Church, 1909, Carroll County

Bowdon United Methodist Church Carroll County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

This was built for the Bowdon Methodist Episcopal Church South by architect G. L. Cathcart. V. E. Lanford was the pastor and  I. H. P. Beck was treasurer. The building committee was: H. J. Reaves, W. A. McLendon, W. O. Lipham, J. M. Tarpley, W. T. Beck, J. H. Sherrill, and B. F. Barrett.

Bowdon United Methodist Church Carroll County GA Interior Curved Pews Stained Glass Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Bowdon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --CARROLL COUNTY GA--, Bowdon GA