Tag Archives: Churches of Bibb County GA

Vineville United Methodist Church, 1926, Macon

A Methodist church was organized in January 1846 to serve the wealthy planters of the village of Vineville. Reverend William J. Sasnett was the first pastor. The present structure, in the Greek Temple style, is the third to serve the congregation.

Vineville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA

Vineville Baptist Church, 1902, Macon

Vineville Baptist Church was organized at the home of Judge J. L. Hardeman on 10 May 1891. They met at several residential locations and then constructed a wood frame church, which was replaced by this structure in 1902. They relocated a few blocks up Vineville Avenue, in the 1920s I believe, and this became home to Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church for many years. It later served as the Macon Islamic Center and is soon to be an event venue. Thanks to Andrew P. Wood for assistance with identification.

Vineville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA

First Christian Church, 1898, Macon

This has been home to the High Street Unitarian Universalist Church since 1988.

Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA

Mulberry Street United Methodist Church, 1882, Macon

In 1826, just three years after the establishment of Macon, Thomas Gardner and sixteen other Methodists established the first congregation in the frontier town. Their first building was constructed in 1828 and in 1831, the Georgia Conference was established here. Georgia was a part of the South Carolina Conference prior to this time. This has earned the congregation the superlative “Mother Church of Georgia Methodism”. The Macon Episcopal Church changed its name to Mulberry Street Methodist Episcopal in 1847 and a new church was built in 1848. By 1882, an ever-expanding membership required more space and the 1848 structure was expanded and completely remodeled by noted architect Alexander Blair with an asymmetrical Victorian Gothic facade. The present English Gothic appearance of Mulberry Street United Methodist Church dates to a 2oth century remodel.

Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA