Tag Archives: Architecture of William J. J. Chase

Oconee County Courthouse, 1939, Watkinsville

Two courthouses in Watkinsville served as the government center of Clarke County. The first was built in 1806 and the second in 1849. When Oconee County was created in 1875, a new courthouse was built; it was replaced by the present structure in 1939, a project of the WPA.

Leave a comment

Filed under --OCONEE COUNTY GA--, Watkinsville GA

Troup County Courthouse, 1939, LaGrange

Troup County Courthouse LaGrange GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Now replaced by a newer facility, William J. J. Chase’s Stripped Classical New Deal courthouse is still used for county business and is adjacent to the new courthouse. Chase also designed the Seminole, Mitchell, and Cook County courthouses.

National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --TROUP COUNTY GA--, LaGrange GA