Tag Archives: Architecture of John Marlor

Brown-Stetson-Sanford House, Circa 1825, Milledgeville

Milledgeville GA Baldwin County Brown Stetson Sanford House Architect John Marlor Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Built on North Wilkinson Street for George T. Brown by John Marlor, this structure first served as the U.S. Hotel and then the Beecher-Brown Hotel. Daniel B. Stetson bought the house in 1857.  His daughter Elizabeth was married to Judge Daniel B. Sanford, Clerk of the Secession Convention.  During the 1950s and 1960s it served as the Sanford House Tea Room. The family donated it to the Old Capital Historical Society who moved it to West Hancock Street in 1966. It’s open to the public on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays through Milledgeville Trolley Tours and is available for events. Admission is charged.

Milledgeville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --BALDWIN COUNTY GA--, Milledgeville GA

Dr. Charles Paine House, 1820, Milledgeville

Milledgeville GA Baldwin County Historic Antebellum Landmark House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Originally attributed to Daniel Pratt, recent scholarship suggests it was likely the work of John Marlor. It features a rear wing not original to the structure but tastefully integrated. Other owners have been the Rockwell and Jones families.

Milledgeville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BALDWIN COUNTY GA--, Milledgeville GA

Joseph Stovall House, Circa 1825, Milledgeville

Milledgeville GA Baldwin County Stovall Conn House Built 1825 Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

The view of this house is another example of how modern intrusions such as power lines and traffic lights can compromise a structure’s integrity, albeit unintended. Located at the corner of Wilkinson and Greene Streets, this house was originally builit in the Federal-Transitional style, but the later Greek Revival additions have come to define it. The thirteen columns are said to represent the thirteen original colonies. John Marlor (Marler) is thought to be the architect. Other families who have owned this landmark include: O’Brien, Beecher, DeGraffenreid, Calloway, and Conn.

Milledgeville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BALDWIN COUNTY GA--, Milledgeville GA

Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No. 3, F. & A. M., 1834, Milledgeville

Milledgeville GA Baldwin County Masonic Lodge Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Though not individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Masonic Lodge in Millegeville was considered by architectural historian John Linley to be of “national importance” The cornerstone was laid on 25 June 1832 by R. W. Samuel Rockwell, William Davis, Thomas Greene, E. H. Pierce, P. Wright, John Miller, Drury Murphy, John Mitchell, and William Hill. Upon its dedication on 24 June 1834, Judge L. L. Harris was the first Worshipful Master.  It’s the oldest such lodge in continuous usage in Georgia, and was designed by the preeminent Milledgeville architect John Marlor (Marler). It was garrisoned by Union troops and served as the home of the Freedmen’s Bureau during the Reconstruction era.

Milledgeville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --BALDWIN COUNTY GA--, Milledgeville GA