Tag Archives: Architecture of Daniel Pratt

Orme-Sallee House, Circa 1822, Milledgeville

Milledgeville GA Baldwin County Landmark Antebellum House Williams Orme Salle Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Attributed to Daniel Pratt, this iconic home is perhaps the best example of the Milledgeville Federal Style. Though built by John Williams, it has come to be known as the Orme-Sallee House. Richard McAlister Orme was a land and slave owner and editor of Milledgeville’s Southern Recorder. Though initially opposed to secession, Orme became an ardent supporter upon his sons’ entrance into the war. During the Sherman’s March to the Sea, Mrs. Orme, who was from Massachusetts, hid her Confederate son-in-law in the attic of this house during its occupation by Union forces.

Milledgeville GA Baldwin County Williams Orme Sallee House Antebellum Double Chimneys Fanlight Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Double chimneys on both sides of the house and attic fanlight are nice features. The south side fanlight, seen below, has been lost to a modern replacement.

Milledgeville GA Baldwin County Landmark Milledgeville Federal House Williams Orme Salle Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

The front door, with ornamental fanlight and sidelights, is my favorite feature.

Milledgeville GA Baldwin County Williams Orme Sallee House Front Door Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Milledgeville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --BALDWIN COUNTY GA--, Milledgeville GA

The Cedars, Circa 1822, Milledgeville

Milledgeville GA Baldwin County Antebellum Landmark Home the Cedars Sunburst Pediment Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Now in use as a sorority house, this is one of the best exemplars of the so-called Milledgeville-Federal Style. The Cedars originally fronted Clarke Street and a cedar-lined circular drive marked its entrance, hence the name. Charles W. Howard was the first owner and Daniel Pratt is thought to have been the architect. Formal gardens at the original location were designed by Irish landscape gardener Patrick Crane. Other owners have included the Jarrett, Scott, Prosser, Moran, Tigner, Smith, and Garrard families, among others.

Milledgeville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --BALDWIN COUNTY GA--, Milledgeville GA