Historic Commercial Architecture, Jefferson

The Randolph-Porter Building (Circa 1891) is the gem of Jefferson’s commercial historic district.

There are some particularly nice examples of turn-of-the-century commercial storefronts on Washington Street, near the courthouse.

Walking down the hill and around the corner from the courthouse to the Crawford W. Long Museum, more historic storefronts can be found on College Street.

Jefferson Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --JACKSON COUNTY GA--, Jefferson GA

Martin Institute Mural, Jefferson

This mural in downtown Jefferson commemorates the Martin Institute, a coeducational center of learning first established as the Jackson County Academy in 1818. The name was changed around 1860 upon the bequest of a large monetary gift by the late Inferior Court Judge William Duncan Martin. The original home of the institute was burned in 1883 and replaced by the structured depicted here in 1886. The school’s reputation reached far beyond Jefferson; U. S. Supreme Court Justice Joseph Rucker Lamar was but one of its distinguished alumni. The Institute served the community until 1942, when it was the victim of an arsonist who turned out to be the son of the Jefferson Police Chief.

Leave a comment

Filed under --JACKSON COUNTY GA--, Jefferson GA

First Christian Church, 1912, Jefferson

This is one of several structures in Jackson County featuring decorative siding built by E. Scott Ethridge, who owned the local concrete plant. His own residence on the adjacent lot features the siding, as well.

Jefferson Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JACKSON COUNTY GA--, Jefferson GA

Presbyterian Church, Circa 1858, Jefferson

Built just before the Civil War, the Presbyterian Church is the oldest church building in Jefferson. It originally featured a steeple which was lost to a storm in 1943. The Presbyterians shared the church with the Baptists until they built their first permanent home in 1887. A former private residence adjacent to the church now serves as the congregational office.

Jefferson Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JACKSON COUNTY GA--, Jefferson GA

First Baptist Church, 1921, Jefferson

Jefferson Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --JACKSON COUNTY GA--, Jefferson GA

Duck-Randolph House, Circa 1916, Jefferson

Jefferson Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JACKSON COUNTY GA--, Jefferson GA

Eclectic House, Jefferson

Jefferson Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --JACKSON COUNTY GA--, Jefferson GA