This beautiful church is essentially all that remains of the once-thriving Swords community. The J. B. Swords Distillery was an early manufacturer of whiskey, located here because of the dependable Blue Springs nearby. The town grew up around the distillery and was at its peak when the Georgia Railroad located a depot here in 1910. Prohibition wiped out the distillery in the 1920s and in the 1950s, the railroad removed the depot. The commercial center of Swords was destroyed by fire in the 1980s.