Category Archives: –SPALDING COUNTY GA–

Prichard-Moore-Goodrich House, Circa 1850, Griffin

I’m happy to report that restoration has begun on this landmark. It was built by Dr. William Prichard on land purchased from Robert Lanier, father of Sidney Lanier. There were several owners between 1872 and 1919 when it was purchased by Lucien P. Goodrich, grandson of Dr. Pritchard. Goodrich was a city and county attorney, city court judge, president of the Chamber of Commerce and Griffin Bar Association and served on the first Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. He died in 1954 and after a brief ownership by his daughter, the home passed from family hands. [Other names associated with the property have been Wadsworth and Jones].

National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --SPALDING COUNTY GA--, Griffin GA

Vernacular Craftsman House, Griffin

Though the Craftsman style is well-defined, this appears to be a vernacular interpretation, made exotic by the full-length stone posts and eyebrow windows. The porch rails are obviously later additions.

Leave a comment

Filed under --SPALDING COUNTY GA--, Griffin GA

Central Hallway House, Griffin

This original section of this house appears to be quite early, perhaps mid-19th-century.

Leave a comment

Filed under --SPALDING COUNTY GA--, Griffin GA

New South Cottage, Griffin

Leave a comment

Filed under --SPALDING COUNTY GA--, Griffin GA

Mills House, Circa 1855, Griffin

Also known as the Lewis-Mills House, this grand Greek Revival was built for the Lewis family, who came to the South from Massachusetts. Mrs. Emily W. Lewis was living in the house with her granddaughter, Lavonia Hammond, during the Civil War. Lavonia recalled that the house served as a hospital for Confederate soldiers and hosted Alexander H. Stephens, Robert Toombs, and Benjamin Harvey Hill, all good friends of her father. In 1878, Lavonia married John B. Mills and they resided in the house with Lavonia’s grandmother. When Mrs. Lewis died in 1901, John Mills purchased the house from his wife’s siblings. When Lavonia Hammond Mills died in 1936, the house passed out of the family’s hands. It had numerous owners in subsequent years and was eventually subdivided into apartments. After falling into disrepair it was restored and is now the office of a law firm.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --SPALDING COUNTY GA--, Griffin GA

Dundee Mills, Griffin

This is but one section of the large complex best remembered as Dundee Mills, which began operations in Griffin in the 1880s and was still in business into the present century.

Leave a comment

Filed under --SPALDING COUNTY GA--, Griffin GA

Akins Feed & Seed, Griffin

Akins Feed & Seed was established by L. A. Akins in nearby Barnesville in 1940. Three of his sons joined the business in 1946, opening additional branches, including Griffin and Forsyth. The Griffin branch has moved to a newer facility and they’re still serving farmers and gardeners throughout Spalding County.

Griffin Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --SPALDING COUNTY GA--, Griffin GA