Category Archives: –MORGAN COUNTY GA–

Historic Storefronts, Godfrey

godfrey ga storefronts photograph copyright brian brown vanishing north georgia usa 2016

A marker placed by Morgan County in celebration of their bicentennial in 2007 reads: The town of Godfrey was incorporated by the Georgia Legislature on July 25, 1906. However, this community has much older roots. Local lore places the earliest geographical reference to a community in this area called Hamburg. By the early 1800s the community was known as Antioch for the original Antioch church built there around 1809. By 1839 the area was known as Evansville, perhaps for a local academy that existed there. One of the earliest industries in the area was a grist mill known as Walton’s Mill, operated by the Walton Family. Fire destroyed it around 1950. Mary Perkins Walton, a descendant of the Walton Family, married Dr. James Ervine Godfrey, a former Confederate surgeon. Dr. and Mrs. Godfrey acquired land in this area through her family and owned a plantation called Egypt. For a time, this community was identified with this plantation, and was called Egypt. The community was later named after Dr. Godfrey when the post office opened in the late 1800s. By 1867 two Baptist churches and one Methodist church had been established. The first school was established in the early 1900s. At its peak the town included eight stores, a bank, barber shop, livery stable, icehouse, cotton gin, warehouse, peach shed, railroad depot, post office, and Walton’s Mill. Godfrey depended on the Central of Georgia Railroad for passenger service, mail service and transportation of commodities.

godfrey ga commercial corner photograph copyright brian brown vanishing north georgia usa 2016

There are several old storefronts in Godfrey.

godfrey ga historic architecture photograph copyright brian brown vanishing north georgia usa 2016

The large building below may have been a combination store/warehouse.

godfrey ga general store warehouse photograph copyright brian brown vanishing north georgia usa 2016

 

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Godfrey GA

Godfrey United Methodist Church, 1893, Morgan County

historic godfrey united methodist church morgan county ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing north georgia usa 2016

Though it has been remodeled several times over the years, this is the original church built in 1893.

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Godfrey GA

Kolb-Foster House, 1839, Madison

Historic Madison GA Italianate House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

I’ve seen numerous dates for this house, so I can’t confirm 1839.

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA

Winter House, 1896, Madison

Historic Madison GA Historic House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA

Gabled-Ell House, Madison

Historic Madison GA Yellow Folk Victorian House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Like many gable-ell houses (or front-gable side-wing), this one incorporates several style elements. Gabled-ell is a generic term for houses that have a protruding room topped by a gable conjoined to a rectangular wing.

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA

Folk Victorian House, Circa 1900, Madison

Historic Madison GA Folk Victorian Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA

Boxwood, Circa 1850, Madison

Historic Madison GA Boxwood House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Also known as the Kolb-Pou-Newton House, Boxwood was Madison’s first major Italianate home, even though its other “facade” is Greek Revival in style. As grand as this house is, it’s equally well-known for its formal garden. The Madison Historic Marker outside notes: Boxwood gardens were an antebellum landscape feature gracing many Madison homes. Parterres were a garden form developed in Renaissance France inspired by lace brocade patterns…and Madison gardens found form in plantings of English boxwood.

Historic Madison GA Boxwood House Gate Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA