Maxeys was first known as Shanty, then as Salmonville. The town as named in honor of Jesse Maxey, who gave land for the Georgia Railroad right-of-way. Though the advent of the railroad in 1839 helped the town thrive, Maxey thought it to be a dangerous innovation and moved his family out to the country. One of Georgia’s first commercial fertilizer plants was built there in 1874 by William B. Brightwell. The town was incorporated in 1907.
The two-story building on the left was Buchanan’s General Store.