Category Archives: Madison GA

Gabled-Ell House, Madison

Historic Madison GA Yellow Folk Victorian House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Like many gable-ell houses (or front-gable side-wing), this one incorporates several style elements. Gabled-ell is a generic term for houses that have a protruding room topped by a gable conjoined to a rectangular wing.

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA

Folk Victorian House, Circa 1900, Madison

Historic Madison GA Folk Victorian Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA

Boxwood, Circa 1850, Madison

Historic Madison GA Boxwood House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Also known as the Kolb-Pou-Newton House, Boxwood was Madison’s first major Italianate home, even though its other “facade” is Greek Revival in style. As grand as this house is, it’s equally well-known for its formal garden. The Madison Historic Marker outside notes: Boxwood gardens were an antebellum landscape feature gracing many Madison homes. Parterres were a garden form developed in Renaissance France inspired by lace brocade patterns…and Madison gardens found form in plantings of English boxwood.

Historic Madison GA Boxwood House Gate Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA

Barnett Parish House, Madison

Historic Madison GA Episcopal Parish Hall Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

This was built in the Queen Anne style after the Civil War and following a complete renovation in 1967, it became the Parish House for the Episcopal Church of the Advent, located next door.

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA

Church of the Advent, 1844, Madison

Historic Madison GA Episcopal Church of the Advent Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

This chapel was built by the Methodists in 1844 and was acquired by the Episcopal diocese in 1961.

In 1846, the first Episcopal congregation was established in Madison. During the 1850s, they built a Greek Revival chapel which served them for over 80 years. The hardships of the Great Depression caused a significant loss in membership and the church was deconsecrated in 1937 and razed soon thereafter. The church was re-established in 1953.

https://advent.episcopalatlanta.org/Content/History_1.asp

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA

Broughton Hall, 1850, Madison

Also known as the Broughton-Sanders-Mason-McWilliams House.

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA

Holly Hall, 1847, Madison

Historic Madison GA Holly Hall Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

This is also referred to as the “Kindergarten House”, having operated as a school for boys and girls in 1856.

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA

Owen-Landry House, 1859, Madison

Historic Madison GA Owen Landry House Antebellum Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Historic Madison GA Owen Landry House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA

Jones-Turnell-Manley House, 1811, Madison

Historic Madison GA Heritage Hall Historic House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Now known as Heritage Hall, and operated by the Morgan County Historical Society as a house museum, this elegant Greek Revival mansion is the most visited site in Madison. Dr. Elijah Evans Jones, chairman of the board of trustees of the Madison Female College, was its most prominent early owner. Originally located 200 feet from its present location, it was moved in 1909 by Stephen Turnell after he donated a portion of the property for the construction of the Methodist church. In 1923, Turnell transformed it into Traveler’s Inn. Mrs. Sue Reid Walton Manley was its last private owner. Her granddaughter donated it to the Morgan County Historical Society in 1977.

Historic Madison GA Heritage Hall Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA

First United Methodist Church, 1914, Madison

Madison United Methodist Church Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Founded in 1807 as part of the Apalachee Circuit, Madison Methodist Church has been a part of this community since its founding. In 1849, the congregation had an active role in the founding of the Madison Female Institute, one of the oldest women’s colleges in the United States. The Institute was active until the Civil War. The present sanctuary, of the Akron plan so popular in the late-19th and early-20th centuries, was completed in 1914. Tiffany stained glass windows are among the most prominent decorative features. The congregation remains among the most active in Morgan County.

http://madisonfumc.com/index.php?page=history

Leave a comment

Filed under --MORGAN COUNTY GA--, Madison GA