Category Archives: –MADISON COUNTY GA–

Union Primitive Baptist Church, 1896, Madison County

One survey states that this church building dates to 1896, but the congregation may be older.

There is a very large cemetery adjacent to the church. A modern structure across the highway now serves the congregation.

3 Comments

Filed under --MADISON COUNTY GA--

Henry Strickland House, Circa 1790, Madison County

This familiar landmark in Danielsville was purportedly built by Revolutionary War veteran Henry Peter Strickland circa 1790, predating the creation of Madison County. Strickland and his wife Mary had eight children.

Additions to the house, prominently the front porch and posts, have led some to surmise the house to have been built later than its stated construction date of 1790, but local tradition suggests that it may in fact be of late-18th-century vintage. The Preservation Committee for the Madison County Heritage Foundation has shared these details, from an architectural survey: The interior of the building features 16-inch boards, no longer available, and the wood used upstairs has never been painted or stained. A set of ”dog leg” stairs leading to the upper floor has weakened with time. And although it is the only access to the top level, the stairs now remain unused for lack of repair.

Whatever its history, it is an important local landmark and will hopefully be preserved. I understand that the county has strongly advocated for the preservation of the house, but do not know details of its current status.

Leave a comment

Filed under --MADISON COUNTY GA--, Danielsville GA

Crawford Long Childhood Home, 1810s, Madison County

Also known as the Crawford Long Childhood Home, this Federal style house was built by Madison County pioneer James Long, circa 1817. James long was the father of Dr. Crawford Williamson Long, the first man to successfully use ether as an anesthesia for surgery. The elder Long came to Georgia with his family from Pennsylvania in 1790 and was a successful planter and merchant and was one of the founders of Danielsville in 1812-1813. He was among the first in newly created Madison County (1811) to receive a license to sell liquor. His holdings in the area eventually reached 13,000 acres and at least 22 slaves. He married a local girl, Elizabeth Ware, on 8 December 1813 and their son Crawford was born on 1 November 1815, presumably at an earlier, though undocumented, home the family owned in Danielsville proper.

The land where this house is located wasn’t purchased until December of 1817 and wasn’t located within the city limits. Because of the low tax evaluation of the property at that time, it is presumed the house was not present at the time of the purchase. James Long was active in local politics and early sessions of the Inferior Court met is his home. He served as Clerk of the Superior Court, Danielsville postmaster, and in both houses of the Georgia legislature. According to the nomination form which added the house to the National Register of Historic Places, it is the only extant, authentic structure associated with his [Crawford W. Long’s] life.

After the sale of the house by the Long heirs in 1874, it has had several owners, including the Thurmond, O’Kelley, Thompson, and Sorrow families. They have kept a watchful eye over it. Crawford Long lived in the house until he left for nearby Franklin College (University of Georgia) in 1829. Local oral traditions suggests that Dr. Long was actually born in the house, which would place its construction date in the 1813-1815 range, but since no primary evidence exists to prove this claim, a debate continues. Either way, it’s significant as a residence of one of the most important figures in 19th century American medicine.

Dr. Crawford Williamson Long. Photo Source: A Cyclopedia of American Medical Biography, Volume 2, 1913. Public Domain.

The National Register nomination also notes: Architecturally, the Crawford Long Childhood Home has significance as a refined example of federal period architecture used in the construction of dwellings on the upper frontier portions of Georgia during the nineteenth century. The style of the structure is more refined than other extant vernacular houses of its area. A graphic reconstruction of the structure, with its original federal pedimented porch would reveal a definite change in character from its present appearance and would distinguish it from other houses in that early nineteenth century period and locality. The interior of the building is indicative of an imported eastern taste transferred into the upper Piedmont of Georgia. The wood paneling and graining found in the formal rooms of the house reflect quality craftsmanship and are a noteworthy accomplishment for that early date and time. The two second-story fireplace surrounds also convey a quality of craftsmanship. The smooth finishing of the interior wood indicates great care in construction as well…

National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --MADISON COUNTY GA--, Danielsville GA

Jacob Eberhart House, 1854, Colbert

The Jacob Eberhart log cabin was saved and relocated to downtown Colbert, where it was reconstructed in its original form. It’s a good representation of a typical working class antebellum dwelling of this area of Georgia.

Leave a comment

Filed under --MADISON COUNTY GA--, Colbert GA

Colbert Volunteer Fire Department

The old Colbert Fire House is now home to the Colbert Volunteer Fire Department, which was established in 1968.

Colbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MADISON COUNTY GA--, Colbert GA

Commercial Block, Colbert

This early 20th century commercial block was most notably home to a pharmacy, whose ghost sign remains.

Colbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MADISON COUNTY GA--, Colbert GA

Seaboard Air Line Railway Depot, 1892, Colbert

Like many towns across Georgia, Colbert saved and restored its historic depot, which now serves as city hall. [One source dates the depot to 1892 and another, to 1907. I am unsure which is correct]. First incorporated as the Town of Five Forks in 1899, community’s name was changed to Colbert in 1909, after early settler James Fletcher Colbert.
This Seaboard Coast Line/Louisville & Nashville caboose was acquired by the city circa 1976 and is located adjacent to the depot.

Colbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MADISON COUNTY GA--, Colbert GA

Folk Victorian House, Colbert

Colbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MADISON COUNTY GA--, Colbert GA

E. S. Hardman House, Circa 1850, Colbert

This is said to be the oldest house in Colbert in its original location.

Colbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MADISON COUNTY GA--, Colbert GA

Foster-Thurmond House, Circa 1845, Madison

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MADISON COUNTY GA--, Madison GA