Category Archives: –HART COUNTY GA–

McCurry-Hodges House, 1892, Hartwell

This Queen Anne, often noted as one of the oldest in Hartwell, was built by attorney Asbury McCurry. His daughter Eloise married Judge Walter Hodges. After his death, she served on Governor Ellis Arnold’s advisory board and as Capitol postmistress during the week, returning here on weekends.

Benson Street-Forest Avenue Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --HART COUNTY GA--, Hartwell GA

Skelton House, 1896, Hartwell

This Victorian landmark has been fully restored and now serves as a bed and breakfast, The Skelton House.

Benson Street-Forest Avenue Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --HART COUNTY GA--, Hartwell GA

Maylon Richardson House, 1881, Hartwell

Benson Street-Forest Avenue Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --HART COUNTY GA--, Hartwell GA

Hartwell City School, 1934

Built in the Georgian Revival style popular with public schoolhouses in the 1930s, the Hartwell Elementary School, as it’s now known, is still in use. It originally served grades 1-11. Atlanta architects Sidney S. Daniell and Russell Lee Beutell were responsible for the design. A WPA gymnasium (not pictured) was constructed in 1939.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --HART COUNTY GA--, Hartwell GA

Georgian Cottage, Hart County

Leave a comment

Filed under --HART COUNTY GA--

Cotton Gin, Bowersville

Bowersville GA Hart County Cotton Gin Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Leave a comment

Filed under --HART COUNTY GA--, Bowersville GA

Historic Storefronts, Bowersville

Bowersville GA Hart County Old Bank Post Office Historic District Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Bowersville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

The space at the left of this block was once a bank; it’s now the post office.

1 Comment

Filed under --HART COUNTY GA--, Bowersville GA