Category Archives: –HARALSON COUNTY GA–

Castille House, Circa 1880, Tallapoosa

This house originally faced Chestnut Street but was turned to face Bowdon Street around 1902. It was built on a site known as Seven Chestnuts, where Creek Indians held council meetings before 1827. Most of the trees have been lost to disease over the years.

North Tallapoosa Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --HARALSON COUNTY GA--, Tallapoosa GA

Clayton House, Circa 1890, Tallapoosa

A dairy was once located behind this house.

North Tallapoosa Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --HARALSON COUNTY GA--, Tallapoosa GA

Cason House, Circa 1894, Tallapoosa

North Tallapoosa Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --HARALSON COUNTY GA--, Tallapoosa GA

Sheffield House, Circa 1890, Tallapoosa

Built by Georgia legislator and Tallapoosa attorney James Murdock McBride, this has been known for many years as the Sheffield House.

North Tallapoosa Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --HARALSON COUNTY GA--, Tallapoosa GA

Eclectic House, Buchanan

Leave a comment

Filed under --HARALSON COUNTY GA--, Buchanan GA

Vernacular House, Buchanan

Leave a comment

Filed under --HARALSON COUNTY GA--, Buchanan GA

Folk Victorian House, Buchanan

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --HARALSON COUNTY GA--, Buchanan GA

Tudor Revival House, Buchanan

Leave a comment

Filed under --HARALSON COUNTY GA--, Buchanan GA

Sanford-Wade House, 1909, Buchanan

Known today as the Sanford-Wade Heritage House, this is now a museum. It was the residence of local legend Evelyn (Shepard) Sanford Wade, who was a pioneer woman in the field of radio operation, and one of the first women mayors in Georgia. After the death of her first husband, Dr. Sanford, she married Levi Wade and also had a 40-year career in education, serving as a teacher and principal.

Leave a comment

Filed under --HARALSON COUNTY GA--, Buchanan GA

Little Creek Schoolhouse, Circa 1870, Buchanan

Relocated from the Little Creek community where it had stood unused since 1932, this was donated to the Haralson County Historical Society in 2006. It is the last remaining of 23 such facilities that once served over a thousand students in the county from Reconstruction until World War II.

Leave a comment

Filed under --HARALSON COUNTY GA--, Buchanan GA